2000 Subaru Outback

JCPOPPE
  • 2000 SUBARU OUTBACK
  • AWD
I noticed the other day that my legacy outback was leaking coolant but not overheating untill it leaked too much out to keep it cool. Its not coming from the block or the thermostat both radiator hoses are hot and it only leaks when I turn it off. Any ideas? Thanks
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 8:13 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi jcpoppe,

Thank you for the donation.

If the leaks is coming from the recovery tank, then it could be a faulty rafdiator cap.

Another possibility is that the cooling is inefficient and that could be due to the cooling fans. With AC turned on, check if the cooling fans are turning on.

To test if there are leaks in the system, get a pressure test done. Quite often when the water pump is beginning to fail, it would leak minimally and might not be noticeable.
Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 4:57 AM
JCPOPPE
I already know the fans work and it doesnt leak unless I turn it off. Every time it leaks it sucks everything out of the overflow bottle
Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 12:05 PM
KHLOW2008
Most likely you have a bad radiator cap. When cap goes bad, the are not able to hold the pressure of the cooling system and when this happens, coolant is forced into to recovery tank. When vehicle cools down, coolant from recovery tank would be sucked into the radiator.
Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 3:26 PM
JCPOPPE
I dont think its the radiator cap because I watch the car leak as soon as I turn it off with the hood up and it is not coming from the cap or overfill bottle
Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 3:48 PM
KHLOW2008
If that is the case, you have a leak somewhere and a visual inspection would be the next thing to do. You might need a pressure test.

If it is from radiator area, check the radiator top tank. They tend to crack and only will leak when there is pressure.
Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 4:27 PM