Sometimes it drives fine and sometimes it will start stalling

GCB2369
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
Some times it drives fine and sometimes it will start stalling and cutting out real hard but if you let off and slowly ease back into gas it drives normal. Recently it has started dying while driving, sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes it takes ten minutes, and the check engine light flashes on and off now instead of staying on constantly.
Friday, September 23rd, 2016 AT 1:21 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can only be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem is not present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That is what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the information required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the positive terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
+1
Friday, September 23rd, 2016 AT 2:37 PM
GCB2369
Could the cam shaft sensor cause this to happen?
Friday, September 23rd, 2016 AT 4:22 PM
WRENCHTECH
There are a hundred things that could cause it.
-2
Friday, September 23rd, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
GCB2369
I took the number four spark plug wire out and it was soaked in oil, other three looked okay.
Friday, September 23rd, 2016 AT 6:10 PM
KEN
Does the car have any codes? here is a guide to help you find out

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 AT 8:12 PM
GCB2369
I dont have access to scanner so I got them by turning the key on and off 3 times in a row and it displays the codes in the odometer, anyway there were 10 codes, I cleaned the oil out of the spark plug tube, and cleaned the cam shaft sensor, the check engine light stopped flashing but is still on, its been dieing while im driving down the road and if I put it im neutral it will start right back up, but if I kill it, turn the key off sometims it takes 20 minutes before it will start and sometims it starts right up, anyway the codes it displays now are
p0016, p0522, p0339, p0340, p0335 and p0038
Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 AT 9:55 PM
KEN
The first code is for the crankshaft sensor that it what I would replace first.

Here is a guide that will let you know what you are in for:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Let us know what happens so it will help others

Best, Ken
Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 AT 2:37 PM