Engine sputtered now will not start up?

MADDEN1086
  • 1992 HONDA CIVIC
Car would start fine but sputter a little when idle like at a red light or stop sign, then when it would get to normal operating temperature sputtering got worse but it never stalled. Changed spark plugs and wires but sputtering continued and each day (about 1 week maybe 2) I drove it, it became worse and harder to get to start. Went out today and the car won't start at all. It cranks but will not start, it has half a tank of gas and recently had an oil change.
Sunday, December 29th, 2019 AT 6:18 PM

Hi,

If it won't start at all, the first things you need to check is if the engine is getting both spark and fuel. Based on your description, I have a feeling it has something to do with fuel pressure. Take a look through this link:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

The easiest thing to do is see if it starts for a couple seconds using starting fluid. If it does, then we know it is a fuel related issue. If it fails to even try to start, then suspect it is ignition related.

Here are two links. One explains how to check for fuel pressure and the other how to check for ignition spark. Do these two things and let me know what you find, or try the starting fluid and let me know.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

One last thing. Because of the model year, the vehicle has an OBD1 computer system. You can retrieve trouble codes without a scanner. All you need is a jumper wire or even a paper clip. Here is a link that explains how it is done. If you find codes, they may be helpful in directing us to the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/honda-car-1990-1995-obd1-code-retrieval-procedure-and-definition-table

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Take care,
+1
Sunday, December 29th, 2019 AT 10:34 PM
MADDEN1086
Okay, thank you. I will try these and let you know. We did take it to brake masters but they said it didn't give any codes. That was the day before it stopped starting. Got it home then nothing.
Monday, December 30th, 2019 AT 12:48 PM
Let me know about the fuel and spark tests. If you can, see if there are any codes now. Something may have set one at this point.

Take care,
Monday, December 30th, 2019 AT 11:00 PM
MADDEN1086
Okay, thank you. I'm off tomorrow so will be trying all this this then and will let you know.
Tuesday, December 31st, 2019 AT 12:20 PM
That sounds like a plan. Hopefully, there will be a diagnostic trouble code that helps.

Take care and I hope you have a great and safe New Year's Eve!

Tuesday, December 31st, 2019 AT 8:41 PM
MADDEN1086
No happy new year here. My boyfriend can't get any codes and very little time to try and work on it. I'm taking lyft for the time being. Thanks for all your help hopefully when more time opens up we will use the info you gave me and we will get it up and running again. Thanks again for your help it was immensely appreciated.
Friday, January 3rd, 2020 AT 12:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Listen, when you guys get the time, let me know what is found or if you need help. I'll be here. Try to have a good new year regardless of the car.

Let me know if I can help.

Take care,
Friday, January 3rd, 2020 AT 10:54 PM
GERALDNORTON
  • 1992 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 92 Honda Civic that will not start and has no fire, I mean no spark?
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:20 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Distributors are a very common failure in the early hondas.

DJCL
Remove the dist cap poke the neg and pos wires on the coil. Neg should flash a test light when cranking
IRISHS247
  • 1992 HONDA CIVIC
1992 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 165k miles

Can anyone help me? My honda runs good but the problem is that somedays it will start then it won't especially when it is hot out. All power comes on but engine won't turn on. Could this be a fuel filter problem? It starts then stops like it is not getting fuel? If I wait a hour or so it will start it used to be only a few minutes and then it would turn over. Any help very much appreciated.
KHLOW2008
Hi irishs247,

Your description of the symptoms points to a faulty main relay. Check the main relay circuit board for bad contacts, resoldering usually solves the problem.
OJ12757
  • 1992 HONDA CIVIC
1992 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

hi i'm having a problem eng turn over but won't start until you add starting fluid, then run until gone, i've check ecm don't see any burn parts, i'm getting fuel, sparks but won't start, help please. Thank in advance.
F4I_GUY
If you add a combustable gas and it starts and runs then your problem is fuel.

First make sure that your main relay is functioning properly (your fuel pump should recieve a signal to prime) if the circuit is fine, then replace the fuel pump
OJ12757
Thanks for reply, this is what i;ve done I have checked the main relay its ok, I replaced the fuel pump.I;m getting fuel at the fuel rail, how can tell if the injector are firing?
F4I_GUY
Okay well. Check your wiring.

With the key on the blk/yel wire should have battery voltage and the black wire should provide a ground.

If you are missing one of those you have a problem. If you have both power and ground and the pump is still not priming, the pump is faulty/defective.
OJ12757
I have no voltage at injector plugs.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:21 PM (Merged)
F4I_GUY
Check your fuses and your relays if you have no battery voltage to the injectors.

It may also be the ignition switch, but that is uncommon.
OJ12757
All fuses and relays ok how do I check the ingition switch, and where are the ckp and the cas sensors located what do they look like?
F4I_GUY
The TDC, CYL, CRANK sensors are all internally inside the distributor.

How do you know the main relay is fine? Are you getting power out of the main relay to the injectors? Your main relay is what sends power to the injectors, make sure that the relay is fine and you are seeing power to and out of the relay.

Sponsored links