Smelling gas after fuel pump was changed

JENNJENN328
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
So I posted here last week about my car. As it turned out tge fuel pump had to be changed so I had a friend change it. Today I filled my car up and noticed the smell of gas after driving it. I looked and there was dripping.
When the car was below half a tank it didnt do this so my main question could something be loose? Or is it something big? If it didnt leak below halfway would it be safe to drive it if I kept it below it till I can get it fixed on my next day off?
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 4:18 PM

You can drive it like that but don't smoke near it. On a lot of cars the fuel pump and / or sending unit are mounted through holes in the tank that may be on the side instead of on top. There's a rubber seal that gets clamped in there to keep the fuel from leaking out. There are a number of reason that seal might not seal perfectly. That includes rust on the tank, the lock ring isn't fully seated, or the seal is cut or deteriorated. Most of the time simply removing the lock ring and reseating the seal takes care of it. Try to return to the mechanic who did the previous work. He deserves the chance to correct his mistake or see what else might be wrong.

There is also a rubber seal the filler tube goes through that could be not seated properly.

Be aware too that with steal gas tanks, rust can develop and the resulting pinhole leaks don't show up until the tank is removed and that rust is disturbed. In that case the mechanic only hastened the leak that was about to develop anyway. The fix for that is a new gas tank. That would not be my first suspect because your car isn't old enough to have a rusty tank. Also, most tanks today are made pf plastic.
+1
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 4:27 PM
JENNJENN328
Thank you so much for responding fast!
You helped a lot. I was hoping I can drive it because I need to go to work tomorrow. Do I need to get the gas above half tank out or can I just burn that off? I want to be as safe as I can be with this because I have a 40mile drive home will I be fine with that long of a drive like this?
+1
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 4:45 PM
Sorry for the delay. I was meeting with the fellow who is going to rebuild my house.

Normally the gas won't leak out real fast. If it's pouring out real fast, it's already down to half tank. Slow leaks usually evaporate as fast as it leaks. I'd avoid parking in a garage though until the leak is solved.
+1
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 6:42 PM
JENNJENN328
Ok thank you so much you helped a lot.
I hope the rebuilding of your house goes good!
Wednesday, January 7th, 2015 AT 12:37 PM