CAR OVERHEATING

2000 Pontiac Sunfire

jenlafata

March, 14, 2009 AT 1:25 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

My car overheated last night, after checking it this morning, I noticed that water doesn't seem to be getting to the right side of the engine. There is no water leaking, but the hose coming from the radiator to the engine on the right side, by the battery stayed cooled, while the hoses on the other side got warm. Could this be the thermostat?

Jacobandnickolas

March, 14, 2009 AT 1:32 PM

Hi: I would start with the thermostat. It sounds like it is not opening.

Let me know if this helps.

jenlafata

March, 15, 2009 AT 1:54 PM

I took it all the way out, and it helped completely! The car seems to run better with it out then it ever did with it in, but I will be putting in a new one. Thanks! One more thing it keeps doing. At first all of the cluster lights were coming on, everything, including ABS, I mean all of them, and at the same time, all of the gages drop to nothing. This only happens while the car is in gear. I changed the negative battery post, and that seemed to help, except now, the service engine and theft system light stays on. They both come on about 10 min after the car is on, and only when its in gear. Could this be a fuse? Electrical?

Thanks!

Jacobandnickolas

March, 15, 2009 AT 3:06 PM

Hi: First, it sounds like you had a bad t-stat. With it out, you most likely will not get good heat, so like you said, it will need replaced. As far as the gauges, if the check engine light is on, have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store. Most will do it for free, and it may direct us. The gauges could be from a ground problem, so in addition to the neg batt terminal, look for damaged or broken ground straps. If nothing is found, you may need to have the body control module tested.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage