Passenger side power window motor only works one direction

XJSHEN
  • 2003 PONTIAC MONTANA
Passenger side window motor only works on the switch up direction, but does not spin at switch down direction. Motor spins two to three second shortly with click sound but does not spin and does not raise window up. Window power switch and regulator is normal. And motor looks work but wire have problem.
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 1:14 PM

STEVE W.
Okay, If you are hearing the motor run in one direction it is not the wiring to the motor. It uses the same wiring to go both directions and simply reverses the polarity.

If you are pushing up on the switch and the window is not moving but it sounds like the motor is turning the issue is either stripped teeth on the regulator or the internal gear on the motor has broken.

If the window is already up but you cannot lower it using either switch then the likely problem is the passenger side switch itself is not passing power to the motor.
Thursday, May 11th, 2017 AT 7:31 AM
XJSHEN
Thanks!
I saw the motor spin normal when window switch on up button but only spin slightly movement and stop with click sound when switch on down button. The regulator looks okay, and window switch works normal. The window is already up to top but it could not be lower and the passenger side switch works normal for lock and unlock. Is the motor problem? Thanks a lot for your direction and instruction!
Thursday, May 11th, 2017 AT 2:15 PM
STEVE W.
Sounds like a bad switch. The motor is easy to test. Remove the trim panel, remove the two wire connection to the motor. Now use two wires, of different colors, connected to the battery to touch the pins in the connector ON the motor. When you apply power with the wires connected one direction the window should go either up or down. Reverse the wires and touch them again and the window should go the opposite direction.

To test the switches, connect a digital volt meter to the two pins inside the connector that you removed from the motor. Most meters will tell you if they are hooked up "backwards" on DC. So when you have it connected to the wires, Pushing the switch one direction should read battery voltage and pushing the switch the other way will show a minus sign in front of the battery voltage. Because the switches simply reverse the polarity to raise/lower the window.
+1
Thursday, May 11th, 2017 AT 9:31 PM
XJSHEN
Hello Steve,
Thanks a lot for your help and nice instruction. I tested voltage and all were normal. Actually, the motor was problem and regulator not match with motor caused window does not down. Strangely, my motor was very old motor, out side shell was fragmented. Anyway I replaced both motor and regulator. Again thanks!
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 5:52 AM
STEVE W.
Sounds like maybe someone had been in there before and just used what they had. But you got it fixed which is what counts. Come back anytime with any auto questions we'll be here. Tell any friends about us.
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 3:25 PM
XJSHEN
You are right. I saw there were touched traces in side of window parts since I have never touched and never have received service on the window. Any way I learned how to replace window motor and regulator.I just paid $30 to buy motor and regulator. Again thanks!
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 4:29 PM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Steve W. Is one of our best!

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 AT 11:30 AM