2002 Pontiac Montana Intermittent starting issues

KULAN12
  • 2002 PONTIAC MONTANA
A 2002 Pontiac Montana that over the last 3 months has chosen to start 90% of the time, but will crank but not turn over the other 10% of the time. Usually when I am out somewhere. No check engine light, and I have had the rear crankshaft position senor replaced. Still the problem exists. If it does not turn over, the tach and speedo register nothing. If I wait 15-60 minutes it then starts no problem. Once running their are no problems. Every time I have left it with my mechanic it run fines so it he has not been able to find anything wrong. We saw an 0341 camshaft code, but felt the crankshaft was the one to go after. Any ideas
Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 6:26 PM

JACK42
The PCM isnt going to set a camshaft code when the crank sensor is the problem. The onboard diagnostics see failures in a particular circuit and let you know where to go. Why would he replace the crank sensor when it had a cam sensor code? Doesnt make any sense
+1
Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 8:25 AM
KULAN12
Forget about what has been replaced. What do you think is the cause of the problem. 3x this weekend it ran fine to a location and did not start when we left. Only to come back 30 minutes later and it starts.
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 1:22 PM
JACK42
You will have to check for spark and fuel pressure to see which is missing. If it had a cam sensor code in it, replace the sensor, but I would still see what is missing when it wont start.
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 7:50 PM
KULAN12
I checked for spark and fuel pressure and both are fine. Fuel pressure was about 56 when it was cranking but not turning over and there was spark. There is no check engine light, so I am receiveing no codes. ANy other thoughts?
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 2:03 PM
JACK42
Now you need to check for injector pulse. You will need to plug a "noid" light into the injector plug to see if it flashes while you crank the engine. Still thinking you may have a bad cam sensor
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 4:13 PM
KULAN12
One school of thought is the Pass Key security system. The other, the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light just came on and stated CAM SENSOR A code. Not sure if this will fix the occassional non starting, but I will replace it.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 5:38 PM
2CARPROS LINSEY
We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future. Thank you
Monday, March 1st, 2010 AT 4:43 PM