2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Overheating

LINDUZ
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
My Grand Prix is overheating. There is water in the system and in the overflow, but after driving it about 5 miles it went completely in the red and took a very long time to cool off. The fan is working. We think it is possibly the water pump. While driving it back home after it cooled (we let it set for about an hour) it immediately heated up to almost red again, but when making right turns the temp dropped drastically and then climbed again. Water pump? And if so, where is the water pump and how hard is it to replace. I am going to have to find a backyard mechanic to do this for me since I just lost my job and cannot afford a shop. Just need to know if this is the problem and what is involved in fixing it. Or what else could it be?
Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 AT 12:38 AM

RACEFAN966
So is it actually overheating or is the guage not working correctly? Have you checked it with an infered thermometer? If not I would do that first to make sure it is overheating. It may not be. I have never heard of a car overheat then cool while cornering. Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 AT 10:23 AM
LINDUZ
Yes, the engine is overheating. It was so hot the little bit of oil around the place you put in oil was burning off and creating a huge plume of smoke. And the heat coming off the engine was overwhelming when we opened the hood. The A/C went to hot air.I turned off the a/c immediately and had to coast the car off the freeway to a safe area, there was no exceleration. The small red light in the bottom right hand corner of the dash lights lit up (the one that says "temp"). We had driven only about 5 miles, but the air temp here is high. About 105 degrees. There is water in the system, even in the overflow and there is antifreeze in the water. The turning thing seemed really odd to us too. But after making the turn, the gauge went back up quickly.
We are very perplexed and because of my financial situation at the moment, I have to get this repaired as cheaply as possible. And return to my job search. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 AT 10:36 AM
RACEFAN966
Well I am not going to lie to you it don't sound very good. So before putting money into it you should take it to a shop that will do a chemical test on it. What this is, is a device you put on the radiator with the radiator cap off and they put a chemical in it and if it changes color then there is compression getting into the radiator. If this happens then you need to make a decision fix the car or replace it, because it either has a cracked head or worped head or blown head gasket or all of the above. Till this test is done I can't say that putting money in car will help because we don't know what is happening. As quick as it getting hot I suspect you will find a bigger problem then a water pump. Let me know how it goes.
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 10:09 AM