Over heating

BLUESHOUND
  • 2003 DODGE DAKOTA
My truck is overheating and I can fiqure it out. Is there anyway of knowing if is the thermosatat without taking the thermostat out. Ity was envolved in an accident and threw the serpintine belt. Can you offer any suggestionn on what to do or how to don it. How would I know if the radiator was n't working correctly.
Sunday, May 5th, 2013 AT 12:42 AM

First of all, which engine do you have? Some use an electric radiator fan. If you have that, is it turning on?

Check the routing of the serpentine belt. The flat back side needs to be against the smooth water pump pulley. If the grooves are riding on it, the routing is wrong.

What are the symptoms that tell you it's overheating? Is the dash gauge reading too high?
+1
Sunday, May 5th, 2013 AT 1:09 AM
BLUESHOUND
Yes. It goes alll the way to hot. It blows cold air so is my thermostat stuck. If I take out the thermostat will it runn cooler.I am stranded and need to get back to baton rouge but I can't go 5 miles before it over heats. Please help.
Sunday, May 5th, 2013 AT 4:53 AM
BLUESHOUND
I have a v-6 motor in my dadge dakopta and I can't go 10 miles without it over heating.I can turn the heater on and it blows cold air. Is this a stuck thermostat. Rick
Sunday, May 5th, 2013 AT 4:56 AM
A stuck thermostat is a possibility but a small one. A leaking cylinder head gasket is more common. Combustion gases can pool under the thermostat causing it to not open. Thermostats open in response to hot liquid, not hot air. You should see coolant going into the reservoir faster than normal too.

To get you home you can remove the thermostat. If it's sticking or a head gasket is leaking it will stop overheating and won't get up to normal temperature. Once the coolant is circulating freely a chemical test can be done at the radiator to verify a head gasket is leaking. If it is not, replace the thermostat and hope that's all it is.
Sunday, May 5th, 2013 AT 10:14 PM