OBD2 scanner not working with my truck

JOHN951
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I just bought an OBD2 scanner (0S601 by OBDScar) it works on my wife’s Honda but will show communication error on my truck. When I take my truck to AutoZone their scanner has no problem running a diagnostic. Is it the scanner I bought or some issues with my electric system? I do have some aftermarket accessories radio and remote start. I don’t understand why one scanner works on my truck and another doesn’t. The scanner says that the software was updated this year so not sure if that would be the issue. I guess I’m asking what would be easier getting a new scanner or trying to figure out why the one I have isn’t working?

Thanks for any advice or help!
Sunday, October 6th, 2019 AT 10:36 AM

BMDOUBLE
You've pretty much have done the process of elimination so I would try another scanner and try to get your money back for the one you have.
Sunday, October 6th, 2019 AT 10:52 AM
JOHN951
That s kinda what I thought. Thanks! Any recommendations on a good DYI brand?
Sunday, October 6th, 2019 AT 4:45 PM
KASEKENNY1
Hi,

I can jump in and help answer that. Many people have reported good things about the Autel OBD 2 scanner but I have seen more and more apps with just a DLC plug in. These are cheap and easy to use. Most OEMs use this pod type tool so they are dependable.

No matter what you get just make sure you can not only read codes but communicate with the ABS module and also look at live data. Reading codes is great but we need to be able to look at what the sensors are doing if we want to properly diagnose most issues.
Wednesday, October 9th, 2019 AT 7:29 PM