No Bus

PWBCKTFTII
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Howdy, , I have a similar issue as others I have read here with a twist. When starting the truck when cold I get the no BUS message in the instrument cluster. I understand it mean there's no comm in the CAN BUS. Now here's my twist, if I drive five miles to my local gas station and put gas in the truck and restart it my gauges will work. Though I have the ABS and brake light still on. Different issue I believe. The truck doesn't stall or run poorly. I swapped out what I thought was the PCM and it didn't change anything. The module I changed was the one on the passenger fender with one large connector on it. Is this the PCM? Or is it the TCM? I have and other Module at the same height as the one described but it's on the passenger firewall with three wire connectors on it. What is this module? I replaced the VSS in the rear end and still have the ABS and brake lights on in the dash. It has been suggested I replace the ABS control module, but I want to get the no bus error fixed first. It was also suggested I may have a ground issue. I cleaned the negative cable connections and replaced the braided engine ground with no effect. All connections inspected so far have been clean and tight. Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab if it makes a difference.
Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019 AT 9:41 PM

KEN
We had this problem in the shop a while back and we had to get a rebuilt cluster for it to fix it. here is a video of the job being done in a similar car which diagrams below to show you how on your car:

https://youtu.be/_HEC44xENxw

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.
Thursday, July 4th, 2019 AT 2:22 PM
PWBCKTFTII
I'll put the instrument cluster on my list of parts to get. I still don't know which control module is which. I also still can't reconcile the warm up issue. Engine heat shouldn't reach the gauges. It may reach the modules or wiring.
Thursday, July 11th, 2019 AT 6:09 PM
KEN
The control module is interrogated into the cluster. That is what is going out in most cases.
Saturday, July 13th, 2019 AT 11:36 AM