No Bus

JDSLONE
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
I have a no bus message where the mileage should be. All the dash hands arn't working and all the warning lights are on. Truck still runs great but the brake lights and turn signals arn't working and the radio controls on the steering wheel arn't working. I have a hand held scanner but it dosnt' link up with the no bus message on.
Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 1:27 PM

The fact that the dash is not working and you have no communication is telling me the dash cluster is out because it is part of the CAN. You will need to have a used or new unit programmed tot he car here is a video of the job being done on a similar car.

https://youtu.be/_HEC44xENxw

Let me know what you find.

Saturday, February 20th, 2010 AT 8:08 PM
JDSLONE
Great call, I took the car to the dealer and they to do just that cost me $430.00 but at least it works.
Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 6:35 AM
COVERT_OPPS
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Hello and thanks in advance.
Brief background- Father and I removed transmission and changed torque converter. Truck started and was running fine during fluid fill up, I actually turned it off and restarted several times. When the fluid level was believed to be correct, and we could feel the transmission engage in both reverse and drive. I backed the truck up about 15 feet to turn around then I decided to shut it off to check/make sure that the transfercase was in 2-high before driving down the road. I ran the shifter on the transfercase through the four different gears and made sure that I was indeed in 2-high and when I tried to start it back up I could not. The motor would turn over but not start. I had no readings at the gauges and could not hear the fuel pump turn on at all. I then looked at the odometer and read the words "no bus". I have since looked up what that phrase means but am very curious to know how what happened in the time I shut the truck down to check the position of the transfercase shift lever and the failed restart.

I have not had a whole lot of time to spend working on this problem with my busy work schedule, but the one thing that I do want to do before continuing the work on my truck is make sure that the electrical and sensor connections at the transmission are good and at the same time replace a wire/plug that was damaged by a jack malfunction at the front axle during the torque converter change. I am not sure if this damaged wire came into play during my transfer case run through of the gears or not but is seems like a good baseline to have before proceeding any further.
Friday, August 17th, 2018 AT 1:40 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
The CCD bus is the communication system between all the modules on the vehicle.(Powertrain control module, transmission control module, air bag module, body control module, etc.) When either the connection between the modules or a module itself has an open or short the ENTIRE communication system goes down(No BUS on the odometer will indicate this) The PCM checks on the other modules and the system integrity all the time. The easiest way to find out whether or not you have a module not responding or a link between it is to one by one un-plug a module. With a module un-hooked, clear the codes and see if the CCD bus is back up. If it is, you found your problem. If not, plug it back in and try another. CCD bus problems are found by this method.

The pcm and cluster can not be tested in this way as they provide ground. I have run into an issue with a PCM that went down when temperature affected it. This can be confirmed by removing the pcm, putting it in the freezer and then re-installing to confirm. I have heard of cluster circuit boards with bad solder points. But since this problem is new and happening after the work you did, first recheck anything that was unplugged and possibly damaged or corroded.
VOLFAN2009
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
A "no bus" signal came up in the odometer area of the instrument cluster. Now I have no keyless entry, radio or dome lights. What would this be telling me.
Basically that is telling you there is a break down of communication between the computer and its components. In this case, it may have to do with the body control module (BCM). You need special test equipment to check it.
-1
WHITWHIT
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
Computer problem
2000 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 69000. Miles

got my oil changed and tires rotated, next day the NO BUS light came on, ABS light &, gas light, (when I know I have half a tank) and airbag light & gauges dont work on 2000 dodge ram 1500
The no bus indicates there isn't a connection between the computer and its components. Check the wiring harness under the hood to make sure it is tight and no one bumped it while they were working.

Also, will the van start and run?

Let me know what you find.

ONE4THEROAD61
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
Gauges quit working and now it flashes no bus in odometer window.
PROMECHANIC
This is most likely a PCM issue. It is possible that you have a bad connection somewhere in the wiring to the PCM but most likely you need a new one. You might try getting a used one. They are usually way cheaper.
+2
DOUG WENZEK
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
Intermittent start problem. Trucks runs good can die when driving with no notice, sometimes will start after one minute, Mileage blinks then shows (No Bus). I have no code with OBD2. Had it in a dodge repair shop, no luck finding problem. No mechanic seems to know what (No Bus) means. Can you please help.
Thank You
Doug Wenzek
Friday, August 17th, 2018 AT 1:41 PM (Merged)
CARUNDELL
Hey Doug,
Essentially "No Bus" means somewhere communication w/ the various modules (computers) was lost. This could be a controller actually causing this or an intermittent short or open along the bus wiring. Its a very hard problem to diagnose and can be labor intensive, unless the problem occurs when a tech is looking at it!

Chris
KOEHLY9372
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
I hope you can help me. My truck is getting hot and shutting down. No power, No stering, and No breaks. The reading on the dash reads (NO BUS) wants it cools down it will restart. Please help. Thank You.
No Bus indicates there is a breakdown of communication between the power control module and its accessories (which are many). Is the vehicle actually overheating or does it just shut down?

Let me know.

KOEHLY9372
The truck is just shutting down when it gets hot. Joe
If it isn't overheating but shuts down when it warms up check the wiring harness to the PCM. Make sure it is tight and there is no corrosion. Agani, the no bus indicates there is a break down in communication between the computer and components.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
In the mileage window it says no bus and when it will start and drive then it quits the gages go all the way down then something clicks and it will start again then shuts down again
The no bus indicates there is a break down in communication between the computer and its components