My car wont start

CLAUTED02
  • 2007 SUZUKI XL7
I bought the car from a used dealership. After a week the car wont start. The first time that happened, I jump started it, It worked. Two days later the same thing happened again and this time it wont start anymore. Would you, please, tell me I there is a permanent solution to this problem?
Sunday, May 19th, 2013 AT 10:40 PM

Of course there's a solution. The vehicle didn't come from the manufacturer needing to be jump-started.

Jump-starting implies the battery is not being recharged while you're driving. That is the responsibility of the charging system. The generator is the most likely suspect. Start by measuring the battery voltage while the engine is running and with it off. With it running it must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is lower than that the generator is not working but that could also be due to the voltage regulator which controls the generator.

If the voltage is within that range yet the battery is not staying charged the battery itself could be bad or the generator could have one bad diode of the six. A professional load test will find that. With one bad diode the generator will only be able to produce exactly one third of its rated output current. That's not enough to meet the demands of the electrical system under all conditions so the battery will make up the difference until it runs down.

With the engine off the battery voltage should be 12.6 volts. That shows it's fully charged. If you find closer to 12.2 volts the battery is okay but it's discharged. At around 11 volts or less the battery has a shorted cell and must be replaced.
Sunday, May 19th, 2013 AT 11:11 PM
CLAUTED02
Thank you so much for your answer it seems that is exactly what is happening with my battery. I think I have to replace it. But my other concern is : I was visiting a Suzuki forum, there is a lot of people that has the same problem with the same car. Some of them have been changing : Alternator, Starter, and battery but they still have the same problem. A couple people think it might be the FUSE PANEL, LOOSE GROUND WIRE or WIRING problem between the IGNITION and the STARTER which is draining voltage. What is your opinion?

Thank you for spending your time answering my questions. You are doing a very good job by helping people with their car problems. I have you in mind!
I which you wealth !
Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 9:42 PM
Sorry to be leaving you hanging so long. I'm spending almost every day out of town helping a friend.

Start with a professional load test on the charging system. In particular I'm interested in full-load maximum current and "ripple" voltage.
Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 AT 9:26 AM