MITSUBIS FUEL SYSTEM

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse

zigzag20

June, 16, 2008 AT 5:20 PM

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 231, 00 miles

My Eclipse seems to have a problem with the fuel system, I've gotten several different possible causes, but with the age of the car, I'm not inclined to go with the " process of elimination" approach.
What it's doing is, it starts and idles rough for the first few minutes of the the first start of the day, then after that, it runs fine for the rest of the day. However, after running fine for a day or two, it won't start again for a couple weeks, then the cycle repeats. The possibilities I've heard are fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel relay, and temperature sensor. The check engine light burns constantly, however the only place in town that services imports wants $150 just to put it on the diagnostic computer to get the code, and if it IS something as simple as the fuel filter or pump, I really don't want to spend 150 to find that out unless I have to. PLEASE HELP!

June, 16, 2008 AT 5:29 PM

Get a repair manual and test the fuel pressure and coolant temperature sensor yourself and comeback with the readings

zigzag20

August, 7, 2008 AT 5:30 PM

So far I've replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, coolant temp. Sensor, and all 3 sensors mounted on the throttle body, and the roughness has improved dramatically, however, the check engine light still burns, and now after running for a little while, I'll hear a " click" sound from behind where the stereo should be, and when that click hits, the car shuts off, like right now, then won't start for at least 20 minutes, then it'll run fine for a few, then " click". Dead again. Could that click I hear be the fuel injector relay malfunctioning?

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i