REPAIR OR REPLACE

1999 Mazda MX5

musclematters

December, 30, 2008 AT 11:35 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Mazda MX5 Two Wheel Drive Manual 62000 miles

Hi, had a gasket replaced at the back of the engine as I had a water leak under pressure. Now when I try to start it up water just blows back through the system and if you remove the radiator cap blows right out. Car won't start. Is it the head gasket and should I have it repaired or just replace the engine?
Thanks, Lynne.

Rich Crites

April, 1, 2009 AT 1:42 PM

I would take it back to the person who did the gasket replacement. Is there any warrantiy? If he replaced the gasket and it still leaking water, take it back to him. It is responsiblety to make it right.

musclematters

April, 8, 2009 AT 12:49 PM

The water pump gasket was initially replaced on my Mazda MX5 by a qualified mechanic who I have used previously. Then the car wouldn't start, there was pressure in the engine. He said that he didn't have the tools required to replace the head gaskett which he thought it might be. The car was towed to a local garage who said they had the required tools and would replace the head gasket at a cost of 500
They replaced the head gasget this being the now diagnosed fault.
It has been skimmed and pressure tested.
The car wouldn't start.
They then replaced the Crank pulley and Cam sensor, said they hadn't noticed that the crank pulley was damaged.
The car wouldn't start.
They called in a man with a laptop who said the only other thing it could be was the coil pack.
They then replaced the coil pack.
My car will not start. I have a bill for 789 and will have to tow my car back home.
Their advice is to get a new engine.
The car had a water leak, under pressure only. It drove like a dream but I obviously didn't want to cause any damage so took it in to be repaired.
I don't know what to do next. Why should I need a new engine when all this work has been done.
Many Thanks, Lynne.

Rich Crites

April, 8, 2009 AT 2:16 PM

I am sorry you are having this much problems. I have worked on miata for years. If the timing belt sprokes are properly alined with the timing marks, and the timing pick up sensor is install correctly it should start and run find. Not knowing just what the mechanics did, I would suggest checking the following: chank shaft sensor, located in the front on the right hand side of the engine. It may not be install correctly. Make sure your timing marks on the cam shafts are properly lined up. If they are off one tooth, it will make the engine run poorly and damage the engine.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang