BATTERY LIGHT ON DASH COMES ON INTERMITTANTLY

1999 Mazda MX5

rodelkin

December, 5, 2012 AT 11:31 PM

Battery light on dash comes on intermittantly. This morning on the way to work while driving to work at freeway speed the motor cut out and will not restart. All I get is a clicking at the starter motor when I try to turn it over on the key. The battery is only about 12 months old.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2012 AT 1:55 AM

Generator quit and you were driving on just the battery until it ran dead. With all the computers and electric fuel pump, the best you can hope for is about an hour of driving if you don't have the head lights and heater fan running.

Charge the battery at a slow rate for about an hour. That will get the engine started and let you drive the car to a mechanic. Have the charging system load-tested, but that has to be done while the problem is occurring, (battery light is on). Intermittent no-charge problems are usually caused by worn brushes in the generator. Those can usually be replaced separately but most people just replace the entire generator.

A corroded electrical connection can also cause the same symptoms. A few quick tests will rule that out first.