Loss of power: reduced engine power reading

CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • 1,300,000 MILES
While driving freeway I tried to pass a bus when I began to loose power as though out of gas. Car began to slow down then got a reduced engine power reading. Also, my engine light came on and started flashing. Then car began to run rough as though it was fixing to shut off like when out of gas. Also, my trunk popped open at same time. I was not off the road as of this time car was still in gear when trunk opened. Could the engine power loss be due to fuel filter or maybe a fuse? Gas tank is full. The trunk I am at a complete loss not sure why that even took place. Do no know what the trunk would have to do with loss of engine power. Makes no since unless there is a short that is connected between the two problems or a fuse or something no idea.
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 12:09 PM

PUFFNSTUFF
Pull the codes for it? I am thinking its misfiring due to plugs, wires or coil pack. Trunk popping may have been coincidental that it happened at the same time.
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 12:26 PM
CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
Okay, I just ran up to Autozone and got the code P0171. Also, I forgot to add that after pulling over and shutting off the car and restarting it everything went back to normal. The engine light went out and reduced engine power reading was gone car ran normal. I have also replaced spark plugs not to long ago.
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 2:02 PM
SATURNTECH9
That is lean code usually caused by a vacuum leak that code does not go with the symptoms you described. A flashing check engine is usually caused a really bad misfire. Which would set a p0300 random misfire and or a certain cylinder misfire code. Also, when a GM car goes into reduced performance mode is caused by a throttle by wire fault like throttle position sensor fault the wiring itself etc. When the key is turned off and back on again if the fault is not there at time car will start and run normal again.
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 9:58 PM
CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
The code they gave me P0171 states oxygen sensor, ignition misfire, fuel injector. Could it be the ignition misfire that caused my engine power reduced reading if it is my ignition coil that is bad? By chance would that of caused the reduced engine power reading and would that give the P0171 Code? (I do have loss of gas mileage also), Or does that mean something totally different. Or could this mean I have multiple things going on here? Not sure what a bad ignition coil symptom really is never had this kind of issue before, but I do believe the car would run rough, misfire and or have bad gas mileage if it was the ignition coil not sure about power loss. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am totally lost here.
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 11:49 PM
SATURNTECH9
A bad coil coil will not set a lean code if a coil was not firing all the time you would get more raw gas going through the engine which is being combusted by the engine. The coil makes spark in the engine to cause the compressed gas to burn. A bad coil would cause the computer to set a misfire code. When there is a failure detected in the throttle by wire system the computer puts the car into reduced performance mode for a safety measure so the car does not possibly accelerate out of control. That is why I said just that code does not make sense for the symptoms. As far as those possible causes for the lean code most do not make sense. For that code restricted fuel filter low fuel pressure vacuum leak etc that would make sense. You can check the fuel pressure most the time when I see the lean code it is a vacuum leak somewhere. I have seen the diyer scan tool not read all the codes if some of them went into the history of the computer of the car.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 AT 7:15 AM
CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was going by the print out they gave me with the code and symptoms.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 AT 9:20 AM
CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
I went to another place to check code again. I did get another code this time along with the P0171 second code is P0068 throttle body.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 AT 12:01 PM
SATURNTECH9
The p0068 that is your reduced performance mode kicking in. How often does the reduced performance mode kick in? Because the p0068 code has to be active to follow the trouble for P0068 plus you would need a scan tool that can read live engine data as well. I would start by diagnosis that code first and go from there.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 AT 9:28 PM
CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
It just started when I started inquiring about the P0171, but it happened anytime I would try to accelerate like in passing or starting from a stop at a light. We did a cleaning using sea foam then cleaned throttle body with throttle body cleaner and used the air flow cleaner it seems to have worked so far. I took it out on the freeway and it did not loose power after running it for awhile. Seems to accelerate well we did clear codes and did a scan every thing seems to be good. No codes present so far after a good hour drive and excessive acceleration. Hopefully that is all it needed. I would like to say thank you for all your help.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 AT 10:11 PM
CINDY_746@YAHOO.COM
I will also be changing the fuel filter hopefully by next weekend to assure it is not part of the problem. Though they say they do not need changing. But could not do it tonight I thought it would be outside behind the tank but found out when attempting to change it that it is actually inside of the gas tank.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 AT 10:24 PM
SATURNTECH9
Yeah a lot of them these days are part of the fuel pump module. Keep me posted on how the car is running.
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 5:54 AM
TREYBERRY71
  • 2006 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My car's traction control light came on last night and the rpm's ran very high (4000-5000) at fifty five mph. I slowed way down to keep the rpm's lower (3000 range), and finished my drive (about five miles). The car does not seem to shift out of third gear when driving and the traction control light stays on.
(I tried pressing/un-pressing the traction control button, to no avail). The check engine light also came on. The oil is good by the way. (Just changed it about a thousand miles ago.)
It has never done anything like this before.
Any suggestions?
Monday, August 14th, 2017 AT 7:56 AM (Merged)