Car jerks when accelerating

EVMASS@YAHOO.COM
  • 2001 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
Transmission problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 101, 00 miles

When I accelerate in my 2001 Lincoln Town Car, it jerks constantly. It is worse up hill, but also does it on level roads. The oil and transmission fluid / filters have been changed at factory recommended intervals. Besides that, the car runs fine. 4.6 V8 with a bit over 100K. Car has been babied - this has been going on since the beginning of summer.

Any ideas?

evmass@yahoo. Com
Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 1:11 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi evmass@yahoo.com,

Jerking during acceleration are mostly engine performance related and likely to be due to spark plug and/or related problems.

Here is a video to help you see what you are in for when changing the plugs.

https://youtu.be/E6oier7agkY

If the Check Engine Light is indicating, get a scan done to retrieve for trouble codes and let me know what they are.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
+1
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 12:45 AM
EVMASS@YAHOO.COM
Thanks for your reply. There is no check engine light.
Do you recommend that the coils and spark plugs be changed? The plugs were changed @ the last tune up but I think they broke one because when I changed all of them again the problem went away and the truck runs great.

Thanks, evmass@yahoo. Com
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 12:48 AM
KHLOW2008
Spark plugs would be difficult to test, only visual inspection for signs of shorting.

The ignition coils can be tested for resistance specifications. Check for oil or water contamination in the spark plug tubes.

Check for loose wire couplers.
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 1:01 AM
SPROULMAN
If you have not solved this problem, I have had the same problem on 5 diferent Ford full size cars with 4.6 engine. I fixed all of mine by installinf new spark plugs and connector springs with boots. I spite of claims I have not had any plugs go 100K before causing an engine miss. A mechanic told me the boots were bad to leak spark by the time the plugs needed replaced. I now change the boots when I change the plugs because they are only about $35. Per set at NAPA and easy to change when you change the plugs. If you do the job yourself make sure you blow out the plug holes before removing the old plugs and before putting the new boot into the hole.
Hope this helps.
Monday, May 16th, 2011 AT 1:53 AM