2004 Jeep Liberty wont turn over

JAMIEH
  • 2004 JEEP LIBERTY
My 04 liberty has lots of power (I jumped the starter) but will not turn over with the key. The small wire at the starter also will not power up at any key position. I have checked the fuses and all seem well. Im stumped?
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 10:39 AM

Use voltage tester on the fuses in the diagram, check for voltage. Even if the fuses are good, if no voltage, the circuit is dead. One of the fuses is hot all the time, one goes hot with the key in the crank position, the other goes hot with the key on. At the starter relay, terminal 30 is hot all the time, terminal 86 goes hot with the key on, no crank. The coil side of starter relay is grounded by the pcm. The pcm receives a crank signal from one of the fuses already listed, in the diagram, goes hot with key in the crank position. Also, your clutch switch could cause a problem? Any testing make sure the tranny is in neutral and a functional e-brake is set. I looked a liberty limited.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_jeep_liberty_limited_1.jpg

+3
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 11:29 AM
JAMIEH
I'll check this out. I just noticed that when I try to start it, there is a key with a slash through it on the dash. I cant recall seeing this before. Could it be in some kind of security shut down? Is the clutch switch the piece that is on the rod that goes through the fire wall?
Thanks for the help by the way. : )
-1
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 12:28 PM
If the problem is your theft system, I can't trouble shoot without using a scanner on it. Did you try a different key?

The clutch switch should be located at the left rear of engine compartment. I tried to post a couple of diagrams, didn't work for some reason?
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 2:16 PM