Radiator Fan Control Relay

GRFRAZ
  • 2004 JEEP CHEROKEE

Engine Cooling problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 940000 miles

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I need to replace the fan control relay. My problem is that I can not find mine, it is not where the chilton book says it is.
It is not located under the passenger head light, I have the entire front end apart and there is no relay located there. There are holes in the sheet metal where it should be, but it is not there. Is there another hiding place for this relay?

Notice the radiator fan relay control just above the low and high speed fan relays, my fan runs on high from engine start thus not allowing engine to come up to operating temperature. And my MIL is on indicating P01489 and P01490, both of which are talking of this PWM relay. I am sorry for the long question but I have a new control relay that was purchased using my 4.0L engine size.

Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 1:55 PM

If its a 4.0L engine its located in the power distribution box-see below 2-fan speed relay involved.

Here is the wiring diagram and relay location (below) along with some easy guides to help you with the testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and in case the motor is bad which happens alot

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-electric-fan-motor

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers,

+18
Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 2:48 PM
GRFRAZ

Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) cooling fan relay is not located in that box, those relays are good. The PWM control relay is the relay that controls which of those relays are energized.

Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 5:52 PM

I thought you were looking for the fan control relay. Here is the fan control module (below)

It will show up on the cooling fan EWD as I've provided.

P1489. High Speed Fan Control Relay

P1490. Low Speed Fan Relay Circuit

Above these 2 relays is a hydraulic cooling fan module it is not a relay and only applies to 4.7L engine.

The coolant temperature sensor feeds the computer the engine temperature. The computer decides whether only one fan is needed or 2 fans depending on engine temperature and AC load-Have your computer tested its jobs is to energize the appropriate relay as needed.

+10
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 12:32 AM
NICE7709

Hi for the person that was looking to find the radiator fan control rely, you have to remove the front bumper cover to find it. And it is located under the passenger headlight after you remove the bumper cover. I had the same issue trying to find it.

Dean

+2
Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 5:04 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Here are the engine wiring diagrams if anyone needs them (below)

Friday, August 25th, 2017 AT 3:38 PM