FAN CONTROL RELAY

2004 Jeep Cherokee

grfraz

November, 17, 2008 AT 1:55 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 940000 miles

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I need to replace the fan control relay. My problem is that I can not find mine, it is not where the chilton book says it is.
It is not located under the passenger head light, I have the entire front end apart and there is no relay located there. There are holes in the sheet metal where it should be, but it is not there.
Is there another hiding place for this relay?

November, 17, 2008 AT 2:48 PM

If its a 4.0L engine its located in the power distribution box-see below 2-fan speed relay involved

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_jeep_40_1.jpg

grfraz

November, 17, 2008 AT 5:52 PM

Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) cooling fan relay is not located in that box, those relays are good. The PWM control relay is the relay that controls which of those relays are energized.

November, 18, 2008 AT 12:32 AM

I thought you were looking for the fan control relay

I've looked for that PWM cooling fan relay there's non listed for your model-See below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cf1_12.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cf2_12.jpg

grfraz

November, 18, 2008 AT 4:18 AM

Notice the radiator fan relay control just above the low and high speed fan relays, my fan runs on high from engine start thus not allowing engine to come up to operating tempeature. And my MIL is on indicating PO1489 and PO1490, both of which are talking of this PWM relay. I am sorry for the long question but I have a new control relay that was purchased using my 4.0L engine size.

November, 18, 2008 AT 4:42 AM

I have the MIt1 auto references and double checked for this PWM relay there's no such thing listed for your model-if it is it will show up on the cooling fan EWD as I've provided.

P1489. High Speed Fan Control Relay

P1490. Low Speed Fan Relay Circuit

Above these 2 relays is a hydraulic cooling fan module it is not a relay and only applies to 4.7L engine.

The coolant temperature sensor feeds the computer the engine temperature. The computer decides whether only one fan is needed or 2 fans depending on engine temperature and AC load-Have your computer tested its jobs is to energize the appropriate relay as needed. This is as far as I can take you, Please await for another expert/s to assit.

nice7709

April, 9, 2011 AT 5:04 AM

Hi for the person that was looking to find the radiator fan control rely, you have to remove the front bumper cover to find it. And it is located under the passenger headlight after you remove the bumper cover. I had the same issue trying to find it.

Dean

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage