2003 Jeep electric radiator Fan

HBF99
  • 2003 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 straight 6 cyl engine. It has 17,000 miles on it and has been running fine. I took it to the car wash today it has been 28 degrees here in NJ. After I returned home I noticed the electric radiator fan was still running even after I shut the enging off. I went outside a while after and it was still running. I took the care around the block to see if it was just a fluke thing but the fan stayed running after I shut the engine off and did not stop. As not to run my battery down, I open the fuse and relay distribution box in the engine compartment and removed the square green 40 amp fuse or relay that stopped the fan. I put the fuse back in and the fan came back on. I will leave it out until tomorrow morning when I leave for work. I have a 35 minute ride to work and I will see what the fan is doing when I get there and shut the engine off. It was fine until I got the car washed today at our local car wash. Have you run across this before?
Thanks,
Harry
Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 4:55 PM

CARUNDELL
Hey Harry,
Sure have! There is a solid state relay behind the right headlight assembly, ( a real @#%@% to change too!) There is an issue with these failing either not allowing the fan to work or turning the fan on continuously. Let us know!

Chris
Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 10:56 AM
HBF99
Hi Chris, Thank you for the information, I purchased the fan relay today. You said the right side head light, did you mean facing the hood or inside the car. Is it passanger side head light? I see my relay came with screws and rivets depending on when my Jeep was made. My Jeep was made Oct.2002.
Let me know
Thanks,
Harry
Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 9:31 PM
CARUNDELL
Yes Harry, passenger side!

Chris
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 AT 3:52 AM
HBF99
Thank you for your help Chris. I will let you know how the installation went and if I have any other trouble with that relay.
Harry
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 AT 4:57 PM