NO BRAKE LIGHTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee

cudaracer

March, 7, 2008 AT 11:01 AM

2000 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100k miles

No brakes lights on my 2000 jeep. (Includes 3rd eye) replaced, brake switch, colume multi switch, taillight fuses and bulbs. Had heard they have problems with the sockets. But tail/running lights are fine. Any obvious things I have missed?

thanks
Dave

March, 7, 2008 AT 3:11 PM

Do you have power at the brake switch if so do a continuity check on the white and tan wire when it leaves the brake switch all the way to the bulb socket-no reading the white and tan is open-

Also check the trailer tow left turn relay -see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_trl_relay_1.jpg

cudaracer

March, 10, 2008 AT 4:42 PM

I have nothing at the tan and white wire at the brake light switch. (Pluged or not) The white/pink (brake light sense) wire has switched power though. Other than that nothing lights my test light on the brake switch. Both new and the replacment brake light switch do the same. (Wh/pink has power)

March, 10, 2008 AT 5:04 PM

What type of cherokee is this?

You have a fuse in the power distribution box that powers the brake switch- Its no.23 15amp.

The wire colors at the brake switch is Tan/White and Pink/Dk blue confirm this. You should have power at pink/dk blu at all times.

When you depress the brake both should have power-

This is the best I could do with EWD image-you need to blow it up,need more help comeback-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cherokee_EWD_1.jpg

cudaracer

March, 11, 2008 AT 7:24 AM

It's a Jeep sport I believe. Not he grand etc. When you say power distribution box. You mean fuse box, right? All the fuses in the fusebox are good. I keep checking that continually as I go. I will look over the diagram you presented. This is fustrating. I apreciate your help.

The only power I have at the brake light switch is the pink/white and it reacts to the pluger. On a pin out of the harness-connector it's call the " brake light sense" what ever that means or does I'm clueless. No power at the tan/white wire. I will confirm the colors when I get home.

dave

cudaracer

March, 11, 2008 AT 7:28 AM

Unfortunatley there is no way for me to blow up the provided diagram and have it legiable.

March, 11, 2008 AT 3:47 PM

The pink/white wire should always have power-depressing the plunger should open the circuit and undepressing it should transfer power to the white/tan wire.

March, 12, 2008 AT 9:45 AM

What type of cherokee is this?

Inbox : Message
From: cudaracer
To: rasmataz
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6: 09 am
Subject: thanks!

Thanks for all your help. Under hood fuse 23 was the problem.

Thank you for your time on this.

Dave

You're welcome -got car problems again you know where to go-Thanks for the donation and tell friends about us.

plgxx

April, 14, 2008 AT 10:51 PM

Hi rasmataz,
Fuse #23 under the hood fixed Dave's 2000 Jeep Sport. I don't have a #23 on my 99 GC Laredo. (The slot is empty). Would you know which fuse/plug thing might help my brake light problem?

April, 15, 2008 AT 2:50 AM

Dunno what's going on I came up for yours the same fuse at no.23 see below-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_brake_3.jpg

plgxx

April, 15, 2008 AT 11:32 AM

Okay got it. That one is under the driver side dash.I thought maybe you were referring to the fuses in the black box under the hood.

#23 under the dash is my problem. It keeps blowing. I read about changing the " Brake Light Switch" which is at the top arm of the brake pedal. What do you think?

I've changed both rear light housing units, put in all new bulbs and sockets. Every light works except the brake light.

Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX