2000 JEEP CHEROKEE NO BRAKE LIGHTS

• cudaracer
  • 2000 Jeep Cherokee

2000 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100k miles

No brakes lights on my 2000 Jeep. (Includes the third eye. I replaced the following; brake switch, column multi switch, taillight fuses and bulbs. I had heard they have problems with the sockets, but the tail and running lights are fine. Any obvious things I have missed?

Thanks,
Dave

Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 11:01 AM

• rasmataz

Do you have power at the brake switch? If so, do a continuity check on the white and tan wire when it leaves the brake switch all the way to the bulb socket-no reading the white and tan is open.

Also check the trailer tow left turn relay -see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_trl_relay_1.jpg

-3
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 3:11 PM
  • cudaracer

I have nothing at the tan and white wire at the brake light switch (plugged or not). The white/pink (brake light sense) wire has switched power though. Other than that nothing. The lights my test light on the brake switch. Both new and the replacement brake light switch do the same. (White/pink has power)

+1
Monday, March 10th, 2008 AT 4:42 PM
  • rasmataz

What type of Cherokee is this?

You have a fuse in the power distribution box that powers the brake switch- Its no.23 15amp.

The wire colors at the brake switch is Tan/White and Pink/Dark blue confirm this. You should have power at pink/dark blue at all times.

When you depress the brake both should have power.

This is the best I could do with EWD image you need to blow it up ,need more help comeback.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cherokee_EWD_1.jpg

+2
Monday, March 10th, 2008 AT 5:04 PM
  • cudaracer

It is a Jeep sport I believe. Not he Grand etc. When you say power distribution box you mean the fuse box, right? All the fuses in the fuse-box are good. I keep checking that continually as I go. I will look over the diagram you presented. This is frustrating. I appreciate your help.

The only power I have at the brake light switch is the pink/white and it reacts to the plunger. On a pin out of the harness-connector it's call the "brake light sense" what ever that means or does I am clueless. No power at the tan/white wire. I will confirm the colors when I get home.

Dave

-1
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 7:24 AM
  • cudaracer

Unfortunatley there is no way for me to blow up the provided diagram and have it legiable.

Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 7:28 AM
  • rasmataz

The pink/white wire should always have power-depressing the plunger should open the circuit and depressing it should transfer power to the white/tan wire.

+1
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 3:47 PM
  • rasmataz

What type of Cherokee is this?

Inbox : Message
From: cudaracer
To: rasmataz
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:09 am
Subject: thanks!

Thanks for all your help. Under hood fuse 23 was the problem.

Thank you for your time on this.

Dave

You are welcome. If you have another other car problems you know where to go.
Thanks for the donation and tell friends about us.

+2
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 9:45 AM
  • plgxx

Hi rasmataz,
Fuse #23 under the hood fixed Dave's 2000 Jeep Sport. I do not have a #23 on my 99 GC Laredo. (The slot is empty). Would you know which fuse/plug thing might help my brake light problem?

Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 10:51 PM
  • rasmataz

I do not what's going on. I came up for yours the same fuse at no.23 see below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_brake_3.jpg

+3
Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 AT 2:50 AM
  • plgxx

Okay got it. That one is under the driver side dash. I thought maybe you were referring to the fuses in the black box under the hood.

#23 under the dash is my problem. It keeps blowing. I read about changing the "Brake Light Switch" which is at the top arm of the brake pedal. What do you think?

I have changed both rear light housing units, put in all new bulbs and sockets. Every light works except the brake light.

Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 AT 11:32 AM