LONG CRANK TIMES/HARD START.

1999 Jeep Cherokee

MarkyZ

July, 2, 2008 AT 2:01 AM

1999 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 199000 miles

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am having some issues starting it while cold or when it's been sitting for over an hour.

When I turn the key it cranks, and cranks, and cranks some more and then eventually starts. After it starts it runs perfectly fine with no issues or hesitiation.

If I turn it off for 15 min while I run inside the coffee shop and come right back out it starts no problem. But if I leave it for over an hour it's the same story.

Service Writer

July, 2, 2008 AT 5:32 AM

This sounds like a fuel pump bleeding down. Try cycling the key as a preliminary test: When you are expecting the problem to happen, turn the key to the on postion without cranking the starter. Afte 5 secs. Turn the key off. Repeat this 3 times. This will comand the fuel pump to push fuel into the lines, (even though it should be there).

Then crank it.
IF it starts first try, you are probably looking at a fuel pump.

MarkyZ

July, 2, 2008 AT 5:54 AM

What is the probability that this is related to the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

merlin2021

July, 2, 2008 AT 7:06 AM

If you are not getting misfire codes, it is remotrly posible, do what SW suggested, it's an easy enough test.

MarkyZ

July, 2, 2008 AT 8:44 PM

I did the test, the crank times signifcantly shortened. I put the key into the " on" position 8 times rather then 5 and she cranked like there was no issue. I already have a spare fuel pump since they are known to die on my model, however I didn't know that this was the symptoms of fuel pump failure. Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test