FUEL PUM

1998 Jaguar XJ8

charlesscott1

July, 19, 2010 AT 11:16 PM

1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

Just put a motor in a 98 Jaguar XJ8 that set up for two years. Car will start but runs only as long as fuel is in top of motor. Is there some of switch or fuse that should be checked or reset to determine if I need a new fuel pump?

If a fuel pump is needed, is there any where online to get an instruction sheet with diagrams to remove and reinstall a new one?

Jagtech360

November, 2, 2010 AT 7:01 PM

What do you mean " fuel in top of motor?&Quot; I assume you are feeding it fuel to run initially. There is an inertia switch in the passenger kick panel. CHeck that. Other wise to check the fuel pump for operation is pretty simple which I'm sure you already have. It is not a fun task putting a fuel pump in especially if you have any amount of fuel in the tank. Good news is; you can access the fuel tank through the trunk. Check for power going to the pump with key on (power will only be there for a few seconds without the engine running). If there's power to the pump but you can't hear it running with a stethoscope or screwdriver pressed up against the tank, there's your prob. If you get a pump be sure to get the in-tank harness also as those melt and get a poor connection when the pump has high resistance.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test