INTERMITTENT DASH ON/OFF, DOOR LOCKS UP AND DOWN, CLOCK RESET, AIR CONTROLS RESET. WHILE DRIVING?

CONNERMACDONALD
  • 2008 GMC SIERRA
I have had this issue several times, usually while driving. I will be driving, sometimes at highway speeds and sometimes at residential speeds and without warning, my gauge cluster will "turn off" and "turn on", as in the gauges will drop as if the truck is off then come right back on to where they should be given the driving circumstance. The door locks will lock and unlock over and over. If I shut the truck off while this is occurring and try to start the truck back up, it makes no attempt to even crank as if the battery were dead. After waiting a few minutes, go to try and start the truck again and it starts right up only leaving the radio clock and date reset and the air controls reset to 74° on both driver and passenger controls.

I have also experienced the issue while trying to start the truck. I will attempt to start the truck and get a no crank, turn the key back and then try again and will start. Again, clock/date and air controls reset.

On one occasion, I had drove my truck for about 10 minutes, parked and locked it using the remote, then came back maybe 5 minutes later to realize my remote would not unlock the truck. I tried several times to unlock it using the remote until I gave up and unlocked it with my key manually. As I was getting into my truck after unlocking it, my alarm started going off. Using my remote, hitting the unlock button turned the alarm off. Started the truck and again, clock/date and air controls were reset.

I have taken my truck to a GM dealer but was told they can't do anything unless the problem occurs for them. I have seen provably hundreds of posts exactly like mine with no real clear solution...or I see about 10 different "possible" solutions. I really just need something straight forward so I know what I'll be getting myself into as far as time and money, which both are hard to come by these days!

This is a video of a guy with the exact same problem and was able to catch it on video: http://youtu.be/ozFSIuHTDMw

Thanks!
Friday, March 28th, 2014 AT 8:30 PM

Havea pro check the ignition switch. Also check fusible links and for corrosion.
Saturday, March 29th, 2014 AT 6:00 AM
CONNERMACDONALD
As far as the ignition switch goes, I'm concerned that the random issue would have to occur to be able to diagnose whether that was the root cause or not? Since it is so random, it may not do it and may not see a voltage drop in the switch?

I've seen multiple comments/posts about the 175A fuse needing replaced because it will end up arcing, but there are no signs of arcing in my case.
I can't recall for sure, but I would imagine that when I took my truck to the dealer and told them the issue and informed them ahead of time that there are multiple TSBs of the issue, that they would have gone through and checked the fuse and toequed it to the proper specs, as well as checked battery cables and connections and looked for corrosion.
Saturday, March 29th, 2014 AT 9:59 AM
I can't say wha the dealer has or has not done, but from having worked in dealers 15 yrs things haven'tchanged much and they don't eget paid much to look at a tsb. If you happen touse your parking brake that area may be the problem because the tsb's I've read mostly are for improper installation of aftermarket parts. The harness near parking brake which I have pic of where to check as well as those neat little devices the progressive insurance likes to have you plug in to your aldl that screw up the electronics in the vehicle. So if you have one take it out and see if anything changes without seeing this vehicle in action or for any mechanic for that matter it h as to do it while in their possession otherwise you will get answers like we give. We are not machines we are human and relate on our experience and other little things we have picked up through the years. So check the areas where the pics are showing and check fuse 46 underhood for corrosion an dthe fusible links in pic wiggle them around and see if theywill repeat your problem theymay have a strand broken or two just hanging on and causing the problem. I have nothing further to add.
Saturday, March 29th, 2014 AT 10:48 AM
CONNERMACDONALD
Thank you very much for your input and advice. I appreciate your time and expertise!
Saturday, March 29th, 2014 AT 11:22 AM