I disconned something from the air filter it looks like a tube/ hose and also my car won't start

RAYANNANICHOLE
  • 1996 VOLVO 850
  • 140 MILES
Hi my car won't start and I'm not sure why. It's turning over but doesn't sound like it's firing. Also I accidentally disconnected something from the air filter and I'm not sure where it goes too so I was hoping you could help me with that and also give me an idea of maybe why it's not turning over a charge the battery and I don't know if it has something to do with the fuel pump or the ignition coil or if because that tube is disconnected but please give me some ideas. Thank you
Saturday, June 28th, 2014 AT 9:05 PM

RIVERMIKERAT
" I accidentally disconnected something from the air filter" is pretty vague. Can you maybe upload a picture of what it is? Also, look around the air intake tube and the filter housing for anything that looks disconnected.

To diagnose the no start, you need to find out what is missing: fire, air, or fuel. I would also check the timing belt to make sure it's turning. That's located in the front of the motor, usually under a plastic cover. Pull the two or three top screws or bolts and carefully pull the cover away from the block and have someone crank the engine over while looking to see if the belt turns.

To check for spark, remove a spark plug boot from one of the plugs and insert a #2 Philips screwdriver in it, holding the screwdriver near a metal piece of the engine while someone cranks the engine. You should see a strong blue spark. Smell and feel the spark plug to see if there is gas on it.

Remove the air filter and make sure you can see through it when holding it up to the sun. Tap it against the ground to remove loose dirt and debris. Check the inlet hose to make sure it isn't obstructed.

Turn the key to the run position and listen carefully when you do it. You should hear a click and hear the fuel pump energize (it sounds like a whirring sound). If not, you may need a new pump or pump relay.
Sunday, June 29th, 2014 AT 6:03 PM
RAYANNANICHOLE
Hi sorry I thought I had attached the photo the first time I will get a better photo later aswell of the actual hose that was coming off of this black peg. I have just changed the heater core in my car because it was overheating badly anfd there was antifreeze coming into my car. I was able to drive it once after I changed it and now it will not start. The black plastic hose thing broke off of the air filter box and im not sur where it was connected to from the air filter or if that even matters. Im not ver good with all of this stuff as you can tell and I have no one to help. Not knowing what things are called makes it hard to look for in the repair manual that is on your website. :( So any help is greatly appreticiated.

rayanna
Monday, June 30th, 2014 AT 8:56 AM
RAYANNANICHOLE
Okay so I just replied again and it didn't go through and I had attached more pictures. Ughhhh.

So this morning I tried to start it up and it sounded like it wanted to more than before. I am not sure if the part that is broken is the air inlet hose or not so I am attaching more pictures. Also there is a wire that looks like it is a ground that is attached to the alternator housing then has a plug of some sort that is not plugged into anything. I will attach those aswell. I am not sure where either of these things are supposed to connect to. I hope this can get fixed today
Monday, June 30th, 2014 AT 11:25 AM
RAYANNANICHOLE
Okay so this is about my 5th time trying and idk if you can even see these photos when I try to click on them it isnt showing them and I guess I will have to send them one reply at a time as this is about my 6th time trying to send the 2nd reply msg as the first didnt go through so this is now the 6th or 7th time.

Here are more photos
Monday, June 30th, 2014 AT 11:30 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
I'm not seeing any new photos. What I can see is a vacuum line with a check valve, but it looks to be connected.

As for the no start condition, check for spark: Pull one of the spark plugs, insert a Phillips screwdriver into the plug boot and hold the metal portion near something metal as someone else cranks the engine over. You should see of hot white spark.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 AT 1:30 PM