2000 Hyundai Accent stalling!

LOULOUQ
  • 2000 HYUNDAI ACCENT
2000 Hyundai Accent Two Wheel Drive Manual 70000 miles

Hi, I've owned this car for 8 months and the engine light has rarely been off- it regularly judders and stalls when I pull away from stationary. I've had it looked at by a garage and so far have had a new catalytic converter, stepper motor (is this AKA an idle speed actuator?), 2 sets of spark plugs and leads, 2 new lamber sensors and 2 new coil packs- none of which has made any difference! The engine light is still on and the fault codes are 1513 and 1553 which seems to be "idle speed actuator (open) open" and idle speed actuator (close) open". What does this mean and what do I need to do to fix it! Any advice gartefully received before I take a big stick to the car and beat it!
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 5:54 AM

Don't beat it with a stick. However, I know the feeling.

The number one cause of misfires on this engine is the plug wires themselves. Usually, they track somewhere out the side of the plastic insulator that goes inside the plug tube.

With the engine off, pull each plug wire off the plug and just rest back on the plug without clipping it back in place. Then start the engine and pull each wire off the plug separately and return. When you pull the wire off the plug, you should see spark jump from the end of the wire to the plug terminal. If it leaves the wire anywhere other than the end of the wire, then you'll need new wires. If it arcs at the coil, you'll need a new coil. If it arcs between the coil tower and wire boot, you're probably best off replacing the coil and wires.

Also, you may want to check for vacuum leaks. The PCV has a history of leaking causing a lean mixture and setting this code. If everything I mentioned looks good, chances are the idle air actuator is bad.

Let me know if you have other questions, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

PS: Make sure the plug wires go back to the same plug, Don't mix them up.
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 9:39 PM