1999 Honda Civic Engine chugging

LINDAVH
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
1999 Honda Civic 4 cyl 175, 00 miles

My 99 Honda Civic starting chugging at stops. I took it in and they gave me an estimate of $600 for parts and $100 for labor for a new distributor. They also recommended a $100 fuel service. Is this normal pricing? How long can I wait before getting this replaced and serviced?
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 11:59 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi LindaVH,

Thank you for the donation.

Pricing differs region to region so it is best to ask around for the prices. Get a second opinion if necessary.

Why does the distributor requires replacing? When the distributor goes bad, the engine would fail to start. If it is the ignition coil, it can be replaced as a componet and not necessary to treplace the complete distributor.

Depending on the problem, it could be the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and /or rotors and how lont it can lat would depend on the condition of the fault.

Is the Check Engine Ligh t indicating and have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 12:35 AM
LINDAVH
They said my cylinders are misfiring and that's why my engine acts up at stops. They told me the spark plugs and wires are ok except that one spark plug can't be removed to be looked at. My maintenance light didn't come on, but there were messages retrieved saying Misfire codes: P0300, P0303 and P0304.

I will try to get another estimate then. I'm based in Austin, TX.

Thanks!
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 12:53 AM
KHLOW2008
Misfiring codes are seldom due to the distributor.

P303 and P304 indicates misfirng in cylinder 3 and 4 repecively and if it is a fault with the distributor, most likely all four trouble codes should show. I would suggest getting a second opinion as well.

If there is a sprak plug that is stuck, then you should try to get it out. Any bad spark plugs could cause the problem.

You are recommended to replace the distributor and service the fuel, I have an inkling the guy is going by a do-this-and-hope-it-works way. I would be looking for a new mechanic as this shop does not seem up to the mark for the job.
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 1:28 AM