P0336 and random misfire codes

01CIVICEX
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
I recently bought a car with a bad timing belt, I replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. Since I already had it apart I felt it prudent to replace the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor at the this time. Removed the intake manifold and cleaned out the EGR channel. Now I am getting the codes:
P0336 crankshaft position "A" circuit range/performance.
P0141 02 sensor heater circuit
P0300 random/multiple misfire
Misfire codes for cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4
What could be the problem?
Thank you
Saturday, October 8th, 2016 AT 7:35 PM

JIS001
Recheck your timing belt marks and verify everything lines up. If all is good then depending on the brand sensor you bought, it could be defective. If timing is not correct that could cause the random misfire.

On a side not. When you got the vehicle was the timing belt broken? If it was then some valves could have bent? Once you verify your timing is correct I would recommend you do a compression check.

PO141 oxygen sensor heater circuit. Verify power and ground are good on rear oxygen sensor (behinde catalytic converter) That will be pins #3 and #4 see diagram below. Using a test light connected to those two pins key on engine off it should light up. If it does your good and you will need to replace the rear oxygen sensor.

I strongly recommend you replace the sensor with a Denso brand or preferably a dealer one for the simple fact the resistance on the heater is too high on other brand sensors that your light will return.

So check those things out and keep us posted please.
Saturday, October 8th, 2016 AT 8:08 PM
01CIVICEX
I am going to recheck the timing, I checked it four times before reassembly since I wanted to make sure it was right and not have to take it apart again, but maybe it jumped, I didn't figure the O2 sensor would cause the misfires and lurching but I have never owned a Honda before so figured I would include all information.
+1
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:31 AM
01CIVICEX
Oh and the timing belt was off by a tooth and several teeth were missing, would bent valves cause it to only misfire and throw the codes on all cylinders? I thought it is odd it only starts the lurching at 3500 rpm's, does not do it until you reach that point.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:35 AM
JIS001
If all the valves bent then yes. But that is assuming timing belt had broken off. But if the timing belt is not set up properly you could get misfire codes. With the high mileage on the engine also check your valve clearance when engine is at room temperature.
+1
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 9:27 AM
01CIVICEX
Checked all connections and they are tight.
Checked the timing and it is still lined up dead on.
Compression test: (#1) 195 (#2) 200 (#3) 200 (#4) 195
Is the compression bad? I couldn't find any specs
I forgot about the O2 sensor, will check it when I get a test light. But so far I'm baffled.
Thursday, October 13th, 2016 AT 9:13 PM
JIS001
Compression looks good. Check your engine coolant temp. When engine is warm voltage should be close to 0.5 volts Check map sensor and at idle should be around 1 volt when back probing.

One thing I do stress is the valve adjustment. What did you measure on the intake valves and exhaust valves? Have seen shops miss that also? You might need to do a cylinder leakage test to check for leaking valves?
Thursday, October 13th, 2016 AT 11:21 PM
01CIVICEX
I think the problem is solved. I had forgotten to mention that while it was throwing the codes the RPM's would not go above 3500 and the engine would surge at that RPM. I decided to swap an OEM Denso Crankshaft sensor for the after market one I first installed. Drove it 80 miles at 70mph/3500rpm and ran fine and no codes. So guess it was the cheapo aftermarket sensor. Thanks for the help!
+1
Monday, October 24th, 2016 AT 9:09 PM
KEN
Glad we could get it fixed please use 2CarPros. Com anytime we are here to help

Best, Ken
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 10:23 AM
01CIVICEX
In response to JIS001, I checked the 02 sensor as you suggested but connecting #3 and #4 connections the test light does not light up, checked the #4 fuse and it looks fine, so I'm not getting ground somewhere?
Thursday, October 27th, 2016 AT 7:49 AM
JIS001
Check pin #4 for battery viltage. Pin 3 is the control circuit. So depends when the computer actually turns it on. Majority of the problem is the sensor. Only time I have seen a computer problem was because they swapped engine with harness but not the computer for that engine so pin configeration was different.
Thursday, October 27th, 2016 AT 10:36 AM