WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR?

2001 Honda Civic

Tiny

ttsupra78

June, 7, 2012 AT 12:38 AM

Ok I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX vtec 1.7L w/a manual transmission. Last year I was driving and then suddenly my car started jolting like if I let off the clutch too fast, then it died. Finally got it started again and headed to autozone to find out it was DTC P0336. So I bought a new ckp sensor and put it in after 4 hours later. Started driving again and it started bucking at 74 mph and sometimes at 65 mph on freeway and the engine light came on. Took it to autozone again and had OBD READ AGAIN. Same P0336. Took new one out thinking they sold me a faulty one, I exchanged it with different one and installed it. I'm driving again and same problem. I ended up replacing three ckp sensors from autozone. At this point I'm angry so I went to Honda service dept and got a new ckp sensor, now it still does the same thing but sometimes it won't buck and it will let me gopast 75 mph but 98% of the time it will do it, and the other 2% it won't, and the engine light will come on and then go off. What is wrong with my car? Would it be cause I need to do the CKP variation relearn with my car?

FOUND 17085 RELATED QUESTIONS

7 Answers

Tiny

ASEMaster6371

June, 7, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

Replace the distributor with a reman unit from a parts store. There are 3 sensors in there that fail because the shaft bearings fail. Replacing the sensors never fixes it.

If you would have went to a shop, they would have told you about the distributor failures. They are very common for this failure. Remember, autozone are parts salesman, not technicians.

Roy

Tiny

ttsupra78

June, 7, 2012 AT 12:58 AM

Well there's one problem my car doesn't have a distributor, it has the coil on plugs that's it. What else could be the problem?

Tiny

ASEMaster6371

June, 7, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

Ok, I would look at the plug for the sensor to be sure it is not damaged. The harness behind it should be checked as well for any chaffing or shorting to something metal.

Roy

Tiny

ttsupra78

June, 7, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

I was afraid of that answer. So my car doesn't require a crank variation relearn after replacing the ckp sensor and it being the cause?

Tiny

ASEMaster6371

June, 7, 2012 AT 1:21 AM

Nope, mostly gm products for that sequence.

Roy

Tiny

ttsupra78

June, 7, 2012 AT 1:27 AM

Ok thank you. You just saved me $110 I was gonna take my car into Honda this weekend to have that procedure done. I'll look for that wiring issue thanks again

Tiny

ASEMaster6371

June, 7, 2012 AT 1:33 AM

Good luck

Please login or register to post a reply.

Code Read Retrieval/Clear Scion XD
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Mercedes-Benz C230
Code Read Retrieval/Clear - Dodge Stratus
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Honda Civic
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Chevrolet Camaro
Read Codes Like a Pro
Code Read Retrieval/Clear
How to read codes Chevrolet Blazer