97 Accord Power Windows

LOU M
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
My daughter has a 97 Accord EX with approx 104K miles. She called from college 2 nights ago and told me that all of her power windows are opening and closing veeeery slow. This happens with the car running. One time she had to push up on the drivers window in order to close it. She'll be home for Xmas break and I would like to get this fixed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 7:09 AM

BRUCE HUNT
A few things come to mind. How many of the windows are running slow? Do the rear windows run slow as well? They don't get used nearly as often and thus could serve as a comparison. Some will say that the age of the motors is the problem. I can understand that on the driver side window as that gets put up and down a lot. So.

There could be a possibility that you might want to replace a motor or two, but first.

The one thing I have found it that the rubber in the guides gets dry, etc. I would try spraying the track with Son of a Gun or something similar. Make sure it gets to the full length of the track. This will act as a lube and hopefully help condition the track material. It may take a little time and a couple of applications to work but it will help. You could even open a door panel and put some spray grease on the moving parts as they may be very dry. Last resort of course is new parts.
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 9:33 AM
LOU M
Bruce,
Thanks for your suggestions. She'll be home in a few weeks and I'll give that lubrication a try. Someone else had mentioned that there is a "Master relay switch", in the drivers door, that controls all of the power windows. They said that this relay might be wearing out. Do you know anything about this?
Monday, December 11th, 2006 AT 6:50 AM
BRUCE HUNT
Yes, there is a master relay in the door. Someone else might be able to answer the weakness. I have never replaced one or had need to replace one. I could not dig up any material on whether they get weak over time.
Monday, December 11th, 2006 AT 7:55 AM
LOU M
Thanks for your help Bruce.
Monday, December 11th, 2006 AT 11:48 AM