POWER STEERING NOISE

2004 Honda Accord

adh601

November, 28, 2008 AT 10:58 AM

Steering problem
2004 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 61000 miles

I have a 2004 Honda Accord with the 6 cyl. The power steering pump makes a lot of noise when cold, but the pump still works fine. After inspecting the pump I found no leaks and the fluid level is at full. I did notice that the hose comming from the top of the pump has some oily build up at one of the connection joints. My thouhgt is that there is small leak that allows air into the system. Once the engine warms up and the pressure builds the air is removed and the noise goes away. Should I replace this hose? Can this hose be repaired?

F4I_guy

November, 29, 2008 AT 1:13 AM

Sounds like your low pressure hose, if so then yes it can be replaced. If you see oily residue on it, it may have a very small leak. I would definately replace it and bleed the steering system of any remaining air afterwards.

dablckprl

December, 30, 2008 AT 11:44 AM

The problem is a very simple to fix. The O-Ring that connects one hose to the P/S is bad, it has to be replace. The Honda part number is P/N 91345-RDA-A01 ...

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

The above link is a guide to help u change it.. it takes like 2minutes and u are set...

The problem as stated above is a leak, air is coming in by the O-ring not doing its proper job. Overall you need the O-ring, which runs about $1.5 from Honda dealerships and Honda P/S fluid, about $3 for a bottle.

This is a $4 job not a $150+ as most dealerships charge.

alzallc

November, 8, 2010 AT 7:12 PM

Looks like I have the same problem. I replaced the O-ring recommended by dablckprl but it didn't help. There is a leak in the pressure hose comming from the top of the power steering pump. The lower hose is a return hose only.
Looks like I need to replace the p/s pressure hose which is a lot more complicated? Do you think that I should also replace the pump itself?

dthoma

December, 9, 2010 AT 2:29 AM

Thanks dablckprl for the link to the service bulletin. I have a 2005 V6 Accord 105k miles with the same noise problem when I first start my car in the mornings and was able to fix it by replacing the O-ring.

tripnotized

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I need the O ring replaced on the steering pump in my accord. I have the O ring, just don't have the tool to replace it. If anyone wants to do it for me let me know, we will agree on the price.

Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer