2004 Honda Accord Power Steering Noise

ADH601
  • 2004 HONDA ACCORD

Steering problem
2004 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 61000 miles

I have a 2004 Honda Accord with the 6 cyl. The power steering pump makes a lot of noise when cold, but the pump still works fine. After inspecting the pump I found no leaks and the fluid level is at full. I did notice that the hose comming from the top of the pump has some oily build up at one of the connection joints. My thouhgt is that there is small leak that allows air into the system. Once the engine warms up and the pressure builds the air is removed and the noise goes away. Should I replace this hose? Can this hose be repaired?

Friday, November 28th, 2008 AT 10:58 AM

F4I_GUY

Sounds like your low pressure hose, if so then yes it can be replaced. If you see oily residue on it, it may have a very small leak. I would definately replace it and bleed the steering system of any remaining air afterwards.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 1:13 AM
DABLCKPRL

The problem is a very simple to fix. The O-Ring that connects one hose to the P/S is bad, it has to be replace. The Honda part number is P/N 91345-RDA-A01 ...

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

The above link is a guide to help u change it.. it takes like 2minutes and u are set...

The problem as stated above is a leak, air is coming in by the O-ring not doing its proper job. Overall you need the O-ring, which runs about $1.5 from Honda dealerships and Honda P/S fluid, about $3 for a bottle.

This is a $4 job not a $150+ as most dealerships charge.

+1
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 11:44 AM
ALZALLC

Looks like I have the same problem. I replaced the O-ring recommended by dablckprl but it didn't help. There is a leak in the pressure hose comming from the top of the power steering pump. The lower hose is a return hose only.
Looks like I need to replace the p/s pressure hose which is a lot more complicated? Do you think that I should also replace the pump itself?

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:12 PM
DTHOMA

Thanks dablckprl for the link to the service bulletin. I have a 2005 V6 Accord 105k miles with the same noise problem when I first start my car in the mornings and was able to fix it by replacing the O-ring.

Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 2:29 AM
TRIPNOTIZED

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I need the O ring replaced on the steering pump in my accord. I have the O ring, just don't have the tool to replace it. If anyone wants to do it for me let me know, we will agree on the price.

+1
Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 8:03 PM