Air Conditioner Blows Warm/Hot Air

NDMAND
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD
Hi,

The problem started a couple of weeks ago. I'd turn on the air conditioner, and it would cool just fine for a while. Then it blow warm (outside warm, I think) air for a while, then it would blow cool for a while. The last couple of days, it has just given up and is blowing warm.

I had a similar event a year or so ago. I think the mechanic said, it's not the AC but a short in something called the PCM or ECU. I took a trip to the junk yard and replaced it.

When I mentioned this to a Honda mechanic recently, he said the PCM is totally separate from the AC, so it doesn't make sense. All I know is that my nearly new car (286,000 miles) is blowing warm air. Any ideas. It is okay to be basic as I am still trying to identify the condenser so that I can see if it is coming on.
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 6:43 PM

MASTER TECH DAN
If the AC is full refrigerant the temperature blend door actuator sounds like it is going out here is a guide to show you what you are in for when doing the job and a diagrams below to show you the location for your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 7:22 PM
NDMAND
Thanks,

I haven't checked the freon since we started there last year only to find the real problem. However, I suppose one could easily lose thier freon over the course of a year.

Another website suggested that the ACC relay (I guess that's the air conditioner compressor clutch relay) or condenser fan relay could have gone bad. Do you think that could cause my problem?

The relay solution doesn't quite make sense to me since it would seem that an electrical part like that would probably fail all at once.

Ndmand
-1
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 7:51 PM
HT
Hi: I had the same problem. The Honda mechanic fixed my problem by replacing the a/c clutch coil.
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 5:57 PM
NDMAND
Thanks, I have been thinking of trying replacing the AC clutch relay. How much did that clutch coil cost ya?

I have also noticed that when I cut off the AC, a kind of groaning sound comes from my dash area. Did you experience that too?

Ndmand
+1
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 6:09 PM
KHLOW2008
I would like to correct what the Honda mechanic about the ECU being separate from the AC. In fact the AC is also linked to the ECU, during full throttle acceleration, the ECU cuts off the AC clutch momentarily to enable full power from the engine and this circuit can also give problems.
Saturday, May 24th, 2008 AT 7:17 AM
NDMAND
Thanks Klow,

So I am not crazy. After I read a bit more, I thought that the Honda mechanic may have been off just a bit.

I have a lot of confidence in the Honda shops, one in particular.

So I did what you suggested and replaced the blend door actuator and it worked! This site is smarter than the Honda mechanics lol

Ndmand
Saturday, May 24th, 2008 AT 8:14 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi Nmand,

Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Sunday, May 25th, 2008 AT 4:39 AM