Power Window won't go up

CMMARIK
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
I am able to make the passenger's side window go down, but when I press the switch up, nothing happens. The same thing happens with the passenger side switch (this is a coupe).

I don't know if this is a relay problem or something else.
Saturday, February 7th, 2009 AT 1:59 PM

SAWMASTER88
It could very well be the relay, but it could also be the window motor or window regulator.
+1
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 11:09 PM
JESKASMILEZ
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Automatic

my car has power windows but the drivers side has a control for all windows and my problem is that the drivers side window wont go up. Now all other windows are working fine. The window in question did the same thing a few days ago but after a while it did go back up not this time though. So how would I know if it's the motor or switch or maybe something else?It was raining when it started acting up originally.
Thursday, May 2nd, 2019 AT 5:04 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
You would have to remove the door panel and check to see if the motor was getting power and ground.
RAYRAY134
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
1997 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My car has power windows and the drivers side front window wont go up how do I get it to go up til I can get it fixed
SHERMANJ1
Let me know if u got help, my track is bent so I took th window out
LOU M
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
My daughter has a 97 Accord EX with approx 104K miles. She called from college 2 nights ago and told me that all of her power windows are opening and closing veeeery slow. This happens with the car running. One time she had to push up on the drivers window in order to close it. She'll be home for Xmas break and I would like to get this fixed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
BRUCE HUNT
A few things come to mind. How many of the windows are running slow? Do the rear windows run slow as well? They don't get used nearly as often and thus could serve as a comparison. Some will say that the age of the motors is the problem. I can understand that on the driver side window as that gets put up and down a lot. So.

There could be a possibility that you might want to replace a motor or two, but first.

The one thing I have found it that the rubber in the guides gets dry, etc. I would try spraying the track with Son of a Gun or something similar. Make sure it gets to the full length of the track. This will act as a lube and hopefully help condition the track material. It may take a little time and a couple of applications to work but it will help. You could even open a door panel and put some spray grease on the moving parts as they may be very dry. Last resort of course is new parts.
LOU M
Bruce,
Thanks for your suggestions. She'll be home in a few weeks and I'll give that lubrication a try. Someone else had mentioned that there is a "Master relay switch", in the drivers door, that controls all of the power windows. They said that this relay might be wearing out. Do you know anything about this?
BRUCE HUNT
Yes, there is a master relay in the door. Someone else might be able to answer the weakness. I have never replaced one or had need to replace one. I could not dig up any material on whether they get weak over time.
LOU M
Thanks for your help Bruce.
QUICKSTER
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
My back driver's side window has never been able to roll up all the way. I've had somebody try to roll it up while I tried to force the window up, but it will not roll up completely. There is a 1/4 inch gap where it won't roll up. It really sucks since I live in Oregon, and well. Its always rains here. So I took the panel off, and took the window channel out and sprayed it down with a silicon lubricant. I put the channels back in, made sure the window was on track with the channels. Still no luck. There is still like a 1/4" of an inch gap that it leave at the top. It makes kind of a grinding noise when it rolls up, also, the window can wiggle to the left or the right. That doesn't seem normal. Its almost like something is pressing up against the window making it so the window can roll up all the way, or the window is not being directed properly causing pressure, hence why the window eventually cannot go up all the way. When the window was off the regulator, I could pull it all the way up to that spot where it is sticking and then muscle it up the rest of the way, but it doesnt seem like the motor can handle that much. And no matter how much I try to muscle it up while somebody else rolls the window up, it won't seal all the way. Any suggestions? Think its the regulator?
KHLOW2008
With glass off regulator, was it difficult to move it up to fully cloded position? Does manually moving the glass gets it to close fully?
If yes, yo both above, you have a faulty regulator.
-2
QUICKSTER
Yes to both of those things. Its almost like my regulator is bent or something. I'll try replacing that and see what happens. I was just reluctant to buy one unless I knew for sure that was it. They aren't cheap. Thanks for your reply.
KHLOW2008
After you remove the regulator, check the rolers at top of regulator. Quite often the roller bracket breaks off resulting in the glass not being able to wind up completely.

Check the door glass runchannel as well. If they are hardened or deformed, especially near the side morror corners, they would result in restriction of the door glass and makes the glass moves slower than normal due to the load. This would also results in premature failing of the regulator.
-1
QUICKSTER
Thanks, you were spot on about the roller bracket. It was snapped right off. I probably need to replace the window channel too since its really hard, unless there is a way to fix it?
MRSRINI671
  • 1993 HONDA ACCORD
Hi,

I have 93 Honda Accord LX, and have power windows (all the four doors).

Today when I opened all the doors, it opened, when reached my work place, I was trying to close all the windows, all the windows are closed except the Driver back seat window.

I tried several times to clsoe that window using the button from the driver side as well as passenger side but I could not.

Can any one help me or advise what needs to done.

Regards
Srini
BRUCE HUNT
You might need to take the cover off the door. Remove the inside panel. What you need to look for is whether the window electrical is the problem or the motor or the mechanism that raises and lowers the window. There is one relay under the hood but if it were bad, none of the windows would operate.

There are a couple of options. Once you know the problem, determine what it is you want to do. For instance, take it in and have it repaired, repair it yourself, or what I have done on a civic with the same problem is to just screw the window up in place. The cost for the mechanism from Honda was over $300.
KHLOW2008
The window channel needs to be replaced. Silicone or any other non-oil based lubricants would only work temporarily.

Never used oil-based lubriants, they would damage the runchannels and cause premature failure.
MRSRINI671
Thank you for the answers, Just I went to the car repair center. The problem is because of the some foreign particles gone into it, I think its chuwing gum.
Thats why the door is coming up for one inch. He said it has to open it and remove the particles.

Just I would like to know can I repair it my self using simple screw driver or similar kind of tools.

Regards
Srini
QUICKSTER
I did buy a silicone lube. It didnt really do anything. I'll grab a new channel then. Thanks for your help! :)