1996 Honda Accord Not smooth changing gear

ACCORD1996
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
Dear All,

This problem came up last month, when I accelerate, I feel dragged by the auto transmission, and after the gear changed from 1st to 2nd, then it is ok for a while, until next gear change. I can feel that the transmission stay at the gear for some seconds before changing

any advice on this?Thanks
Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 5:36 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi accord1996,

Check the throttle control cable adjustment for the trans. If it is adjusted too short, shifting would be slow and engagement results in shocks.
+3
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 1:33 PM
ACCORD1996
Dear KHLow2008,

I went to the Transmission Garage, who told me there was nothing wrong with my transmission, the delay is normal.

By what you told, could you tell me how to locate and adjust the throttle cable? Preferably by some pictures.

Thanks a million!

Best Regards,
+2
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 2:04 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi Joe,

The throttle cable is connected from the throttle body to the transmission at front near the lower radiator hose. Adjusting is via the nuts as shown in the diagram.

Loosen the upper nut until there is some slack on the cable at the throttle body side. Slowly tighten the nut till the slack is just removed and then tighten the lower nut till it locks.

The throttle cable should be synchronised to operate in tandem with the throttle opening of the intake manifold.

Since you are not familar with the adjustment, mark the initial position first so that you know how much you have adjusted. You might need a few tries to get the desired position. After each adjustment, test drive the vehicle first.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ThrottleCable93Accord_2.jpg

Btw if the shifting is erratic, it could be caused by a bad throttle position sensor. You would have to test the sensor and the best way is to use a diagnostic machine. Manual testing would require a DVOM and a wire harness.
+4
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 2:20 PM
ACCORD1996
Thank you so much! KHLow2008

That will surely help me to check and understand more about my accord babe.

I will go home and do what I learned from you, and tried some times.

So you got a software to diagnose the car problem?That is cool diagram of the throttle.

Thanks again!
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 2:27 PM
ACCORD1996
Hey KHLow2008,

I tried to adjust the throttle cable, however, it did not affect anything but the height of accelerator pedal, by the way, there are two similar throttle cables under the hood. When I push the accelerator pedal, one moved, while the other stays still, so I adjusted the one who moved.

I think maybe the TQS has problem. Sigh.

Hopeless.

Could you tell me how to get the analyze software?

Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 5:47 PM
KHLOW2008
You adjusted the wrong cable. This cable comes out from the cabin. If you pull at this cable to move the throttle valve, the other cable is moving at the transmission end, activating a lever.

The cable to be adjusted should be from the throttle body to the transmission near lower radiator hose. Adjust is at transmission side.

You can subscribe to online software provider for your vehicle at $30 per vehicle per car/model.

I am a moderator of 2carpros so I have access to Mitchell1. It is imperative that such data are available to us, otherwise it would not be easy for us to answer any questions.

Try this link if you are interested.
+3
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 7:30 AM
ACCORD1996
Due to the long time, the nuts are frozen, maybe some rust, I can not adjust it.

Any advice?
+1
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 11:27 AM
KHLOW2008
Before adjustment, check if there is any slack in the cable at the throttle side. While pushing the lever at transmission end to prevent it from moving upwards, lightly push at the throttle body end to check for free play of the cable. If there are any, adjustmnt is required.

Quite often the nuts will get stuck and some rust remover (WD 40) is required. Allow to soak for a while and it would be best to have 2 open end spanners (12 mm ) and a plier to hold the casing after the nut is loosened.
+1
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 12:19 PM