Head light high beams will not turn on but low beams do

MREMOJI1
  • 1994 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
I am not sure if it the high or low that don't work but one them turn on and when trying to switch to high or low it wont turn on.
Wednesday, September 11th, 2019 AT 1:10 PM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

Since there is only one 40 amp fuse for the headlights, it must be good. Now, are you certain the bulbs are not bad? Also, there are a total of 4 bulbs. It is very possible that you didn't realize one was already bad when the second one burned out.

Turn the lights on and see if the high beam indicator in the vehicle is on when the lights are working. If it is, then that is the high beam. If it isn't.. turn the lights off and pull back on the lever to actuate the flash to pass lights. Do they work?

Other than this, you will need to remove the bulbs and check for power to the light sockets on the affected sockets. You can do it with a test light.

Here are a couple links to help if you do it:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Let me know.

Wednesday, September 11th, 2019 AT 6:17 PM
MREMOJI1
My high beam light indicator don t turn on in the car Joe. So now I m confused on what else it might be. The fuse is fine etc. I was thinking if it s the lCM because the horn cruse control and light don t work and YouTube says the lCM control all this. Now the big problem is ford told me they stop making them and that my car don t have a lCM. Help
Friday, September 13th, 2019 AT 9:32 AM
Welcome back:

No, it does have an icm but it has nothing to do with the headlights. The ICM (Ignition Control Module) is responsible for spark timing to the engine and has nothing to do with the headlights. If you told me the engine wouldn't start, then the ICM would have been a consideration. Also, if you really needed one, I feel confident that you could get a new aftermarket one at a parts store. Ford may not offer it any more due to age, but they are still around.

That leaves me questioning the headlight switch or the high beam switch. If you are certain the fuses are good and they have power, and the bulbs are good, we need to do some checking. I need to know if you have automatic control headlamps with daytime running lights or not. The schematics are very different, so before I start paging through them, I want to be sure.

Let me know.

Friday, September 13th, 2019 AT 6:04 PM
MREMOJI1
I have the delay lamp switch that even in day it stay on and I could shut them off and pull the lever to turn on and off. Just the high beams indicator or light work
Friday, September 13th, 2019 AT 6:41 PM
Thank you. With the lights off, if you pull back on the high beam switch and hold it, do the lights turn on?

Friday, September 13th, 2019 AT 6:57 PM
MREMOJI1
No sir it s pulled bacc and lights stay on but when put down it don t work so I think it s the low beam
Friday, September 13th, 2019 AT 9:56 PM
Welcome back:

Are you sure the bulbs aren't bad? If you know they are good, then we need to check for power to the sockets.

Let me know.

Saturday, September 14th, 2019 AT 5:29 PM
MREMOJI1
I m for sure
Sunday, September 15th, 2019 AT 1:58 PM
Have you checked for power at the light sockets? If you have and there is none, I suspect the switch is bad.

Let me know.
Sunday, September 15th, 2019 AT 3:18 PM