1999 GMC Yukon 99 Yukon stalls & bogs, no codes

HOTDOG53
  • 1999 GMC YUKON
1999 GMC Yukon 5.7 2wd auto. The truck starts and runs fine for about the 30 minutes, then starts to stall / bog when trying to accelerate. The more it is driven and the more heat generated (hot days, running AC) the worse it gets. Eventually it will not be able to accelerate above an idle.

I feel that this is heat related because the longer it's driven, the less usable throttle you have. You can pull over and sit for 5 minutes and get about 5% throttle back.

I have put a code reader on it, and there are none. The service engine light never comes on. Fuel pump and filter are less than 6 months old.
Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 AT 1:25 PM

HOTDOG53
I guess I'll keep adding to my question until some body knows the answer.

So far I have replaced the TPS, Cam position module, Distributor Cap and Rotor, Knock Sensor, Checked fuel pressure (no less than 50 psi).

I put a timing light on it and noticed that as you start to increase rpm, the timing advances, then when it starts to bog, it throws a large amount of retard.

If I could find out how giving it more thottle retards the ignition, I think I could end this madness.

Don't be shy, come on in, the waters fine.
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008 AT 3:25 PM
DEVILMAN182
My truck is doing the samething I was just wondering if you where able to get your truck fix and maybe send me into a better direction
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 12:58 AM
HOTDOG53
Turns out is was the fuel pump.

I had replaced the factory pump about 6-8 months earleir with an aftermarket pump. As a result, under full throttle or after the pump would get hot the truck would start running lean causing it to bogg.

They I found it was running lean, I had a guy hook his OBDII laptop and flash software to the truck while I was driving, and you could see the reaction in the o2 sensors.

I put the factory GM pump back in it, and now runs great. I have heard that the Carter pump works very well also, but stay away from any other pumps.

Kurtis
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 10:18 AM