FUEL PUMP

GMC Jimmy

kevinneslund

May, 4, 2007 AT 9:29 AM

Is it possible for a bad fuel pump to cause a vehicle to not start? My GMC Jimmy (1993 with 177,500 miles) will start intermittently. For example, it will start and run on some occasions, but, after turning it off, if I go back out only moments later, and sometimes even a couple hours later, it cranks just fine but just refuses to start. I'm hearing from different people it's probably a bad fuel pump that needs replacing due to a possibly bad pulse dampener which is located on the pump assembly. Is that possible for a bad fuel pump to not allow the vehicle to start?

Thanks.

backyardmechanic

May, 4, 2007 AT 12:52 PM

It is possible for the car not to start from a fautly fuel pump. However they usually are not intermittenly bad. Before you start changing out parts you need to determine if it is a fuel problem or not. What you described could be cause by a number of things besides the fuel pump. It could be a fuel problem or ignition problem, but you won't know unless you make some test. The next time the car won't start check to see if you have fuel and spark. Then you will know which direction to go in and save time and money. Good luck

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test