99 4.3L FUEL PUMP

1999 GMC Jimmy

darrenbrandt

April, 24, 2011 AT 9:13 PM

1999 gmc jimmy 4.3l. Just replaced the fuel pump and two days later the fuel pump stopped working. Pulled out the new fuel pump and replaced with a another new one. My question is what would cause the new fuel pump to go out? I know there is a possibility that it could have been just a bad fuel pump or I was wondering if there could be another kind of electrical problem that would cause the fuel pump to go out? Any suggestions?

April, 24, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

Check and test the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay and the fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit-also test for voltage drop problem

Wrenchtech

April, 24, 2011 AT 9:31 PM

They have a known problem with the contacts in the plug at the tank.

darrenbrandt

April, 25, 2011 AT 2:05 AM

I did just find that the oil sending unit was unplugged. How would the oil pressure sending unit affect the fuel pump? How can I tell if the fuel pump relay is bad?

Wrenchtech

April, 25, 2011 AT 2:09 AM

The oil pressure sender is a redundant power supply to the fuel pump. The truck can run with either/or working properly but if it loses both, it will not run so there is a good chance you have a problem with the relay. When running on the oil pressure switch only, you will have a long crank before starting because you aren't getting the 2 second prime supplied by the relay.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay