Gearbox or clutch

HAYWARD19
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
  • TURBO
My gearbox grinds in third and fourth but also my clutch makes a noise. Then when I push down on it it goes silent. Could it be my clutch or gearbox?
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 10:24 AM

KASEKENNY1
Hi Hayward,

Yes. The clutch can cause an issue in just some gears or all. Normally as the clutch wears the gears that are used the most are the first to grind. Normally, this is first and second but there is no rule that says it can't be others.

Grinding is caused by really two main things. First, is a worn out clutch. Second are worn out synchronizer. The second is less common and should not be addressed until the clutch operation is tested and shown to be operating properly.

Here is a guide that explains this in a little more detail. However, it sounds like I would start with the clutch assembly and then retest. If the synchronizer is the issue you will need to open the transmission and disassemble the gears to replace this. Not entirely complicated but not an easy job either.

Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/clutch-symptoms
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 6:35 PM