Gauges not working in cold weather until you drive it for about 30+ miles

LMA14HONEY
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
My gas gauge has never worked but this year all the gauges don't work in the cold weather until you drive abounds 30 or more miles. The only gauge that does work is the temp gauge. The odometer, speedometer, rpm, and trip gauge do not work in the cold or wet weather. I have to use the trip gauge to know how much fuel I have so when that doesn't work I have no clue where I'm at on fuel. Please help.
Saturday, October 19th, 2013 AT 9:39 AM

Have it checked by a pro it may be that the dash is bad. They are digital and the electronics screw up on them. They can be rebuilt. But first I would check the main connector at the back of the dash to be sure it is making good connection. Usually when something starts working when warm it is due to bad connections that "Grow" when warmed up
-1
Saturday, October 19th, 2013 AT 10:53 AM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
The gauges in my instrument panel have stopped working. All of them. I replaced the light bulbs, the battery and the alternator this week, and now none of my gauges move. I have checked the connections behind the panel and they are connected. How can I fix this problem?
Sunday, March 24th, 2019 AT 10:44 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Sounds like the cluster has failed. Have it checked to verify

2004FORD
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
I took my car in to be computer checked, the 'display light' was not working. The mechanic said it was registering in the engine but not displaying. So, I called over the US to see about sending the cluster in for repair. But I needed that same mechanic to take it out so I could send it out. He did and then said he could fix it. So he showed me some residue on it and said he could clean that off and then he said it was the 'Chrystal and showed me a black spot on it. So he said he found one at the junk yard for $65 and he would put that one on. So, he kept it over night and never called me, until closing last night And he said he got the cluster put back in but it wouldn't work. So he said did I want my automatic start on my remote, cuz he said this used car must have had it put in in after market, cuz I can see where they spliced the wires and added it to something. So he said what I will do is go back to the junk yard where I got the "Chrystal "and get the plug in from that same car.
And I'll have to cut /splice all of the 26 wires to the plug in and sodder them together then shrink wrap it and it should work. Well me being a woman and I just bought this car had to get loan for it. Checked with Ford dealer and he said a cluster repair would cost me $900. So that is why I went to this mechanic who told me he had fixed 1,000's of them and charged me $120 for in and out but his he said he would have to charge me $80 hr for 3.5 hours to sodder these wires. He said if I don't do this then it would cost me $6,000 for a complete wire job! I live alone am 71, my dad was a electrican and I have no one to ask anything to, but a friend of mine in Oregon and he said the guy could do just the remote one first or check the ground wire or fuses.I can't sleep thinking that this mechanic is going splice all of my wires and sodder them back together, this is the craziest thing I have heard of and now I still owe over $3,000 for this car. It is 4:45 am EST Michigan.I hope you will read this today.I would be happy to donate but I have to use a credit card.
2004FORD
I called the dealer ship where I bought the car and their mechanic said, does it have a remote automatic start on it and I said yes. And he said well those can mess up the wiring when they put those on after market.
But yah your mechanic is doing the right thing by splicing all of those wires and soddering them back together, and then shrink wrapping it all around. They do that sometimes too and it works and its better than paying for an entire rewireing, its a pain to do but it works.
So, I guess I was worried about nothing and lost a nights sleep over this.I still haven't gotten an answer back you 2 but thanks anyway.
Take it to another mechanic. Replacing a cluster no way should you have to cut and rehook wires. They can be rebuilt if you remove yourself for under $200 at a lot of places just look online. Then most that would need to be done is to have it reprogrammed. Make sure you find another mechanic for this that guy sounds like a hack
RON MAYS
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2001 Ford Taurus. The dash instrument lights will usually not come on when I turn the switch on. Instead the hazard dash lights come on and stay on - they don't blink on and off; the dash is completely dark. Usually after 15-20 minutes of driving like this the dash lights will suddenly come on like normal and the hazard lights will go out. What is causing this?
Probably a bad ground going to the dash. Check for a oose ground wire it will be either on teh dash it self or the post under the kick panel.
SAILOR1969
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
One day the vehicle started surging and missing. I have replaced egr valve spark plug wires, spark plugs. It is still doing the same thing. A few days after it started, the instrument panel started acting weird. When you turn the headlights on or just parking lights, everything works but for the gauge lights. The only two lights that come on are the blinker lights (both sides) which just stay on. They do not blink. Any help with this matter will be appreciated. Thanks
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model an LX, SE, SEL, or SES. Also please provide your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Next, if it is drivable, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.
SAILOR1969
The vehicle is a 6cyl. SE and the 8th digit on the VIN is U. Took it down to AZ and replaced battery. Had alternator checked and it is good. It's been a while since I posted this problem since we parked it while moving to CA. Started driving it again and still cannot figure out what is causing the instrument panel to not light up when you turn the lights on.
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info.

Troubleshooting the lighting will be a little tricky as there is nothing in the manual but we will give it a try.

So the instrument panel is working, all the gauges etc work just fine just no lights when you turn on?

If this is correct do you have your brightness indicator turned up all the way?
SAILOR1969
After bring this to the Ford shop and after spending 477.00, the problems were found. Instrument Panel not lighting up: 5 bulbs were out. Replaced and now all lights work again. Here is a weird one for you concerning the Ford Taurus. At the top, rear of the engine where the EGR vavle is located, there is a bracket it is attached to. Sort of like an extension away from intake. The Ford dealership diagram doesn't even show this part for this car. I have checked several cars and it is on those as well. If the part is removed from the intake, there is a rubber o-ring to seal off vacuum when inserted into the intake. This o-ring had been pinched and was not sealing the vacuum off. You will not hear a vacuum leak for some reason but replaced the o-ring and the surging is fixed now. Pass it on if you can!
CE347
  • 2001 FORD TAURUSFORD TAURUS
2002 Taurus 97000 miles 3.0 flex fuel. Instrument panel lights won't light when headlights are turned on. Floor shift ind, radio and heat A/C lights come on and work fine. When headlights are turned on, only l & r turnsignal lights illuminate. All gauges and warning lights work fine. Was told its most likely headlight switch but want to be sure I shell out over $100.
MERLIN2021
Dumb question, but, is the dial turned up? Also check the instrument cluster fuse. If your ambitiuos
and have a test light, unplug the connector and check for power!
ENCORE27
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
My college sons 1995 taurus had issues with the speedometer bouncing around, so I had the garage check it out and they replace it. I also had them change the oil and transmission fluid etc. Now the car at certain speeds (not a particular speed) will feel like the transmission is slipping or really like it wants to change to a different gear but is not sure of itself. Also when you go into overdrive you will get a jerk and a half. It's like it thinks about it, slows down a bit and then it's like it just slams into overdrive. This all started happening after the changes. Bad tranny? Or speed sensor or what? Son didn't say anything because his driving was very local at slow speeds. I took it for a spin and thought I'd lose my teeth when it went into overdrive and the indecision in the drive (like slipping) drove me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.
BMRFIXIT
Check tranny fluid
check for tranny codes
check motor and tranny mounts
STAINEDFLOOR
Well, first, if the tranny is indecisive then there are many areas to check, although the thought is the old changer is goin and you'll have to replace it. As far as the speedo bouncing is the speedometer pod. The cable that is connected to it from the tranny creates harmonic vibration while turning and wears out the speedo bearings. A new cluster can be bought from a company in Auburn Hills, MI. Remove the old and trade it in. It runs about 150.00.
JONESFORD
Do you happen to know the name of the business?
HOBERTH
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
How to get the instrument panel off?
Sunday, March 24th, 2019 AT 10:45 AM (Merged)