1999 Ford Taurus Possible to test a fuel pump relay?

RJC9558
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
Is there any way to test a fuel pump relay? I'd rather find out if that is my problem before replacing the fuel pump. The car cranks but won't start. And also, if I ran an OBDll on it, would it show specifically a relay, or just a fuel error?

Thanks for your help and your expertise!

Mark

ps. Forgot to mention it is getting spark.
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 9:56 PM

IMPALASS
Hi Mark

I have attached some checks for you.

I know you said fuel, but are you sure? If not, we need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical.

If you are getting good spark then spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and try to start it and see if it tries to start then.

You may need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay.

Next I would still pull the codes on the car. A bad crank sensor will also not let the car start. Most important: Once you check your codes, if you find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad.
-1
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 10:09 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Sorry Mark

I forgot to attach the location...........

And if you do get back with us please let me know your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN. Also is your model a LX, SE, or SHO

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_4_46.jpg

+1
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 10:13 PM