REPLACED FUEL PUMP BUT NO FUEL PRESSURE

1999 Ford Taurus

Dennis317

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:03 AM

Replaced fuel pump, now its not getting fuel pressure. The old pump got hot but car didnt die. It wouldnt start back up untill it cooled down. I checked the fuse and relay prior to replacing fuel pump. I havent listened to see of the pump runs. May it be because its not seated all the way in? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

mhpautos

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:07 AM

Best to see if the pump is running first, let me know if it is or isn't

djcl

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:09 AM

Check power and ground @ the pump

Dennis317

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:14 AM

No, doesnt seem like its running. I cant hear it making any noise once I turn ignition.

Dennis317

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:18 AM

How do I do that? I took down the tank and checked 2 power connectors they seem to be in place. Its a brand new Airtex pump.

mhpautos

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:19 AM

You will now have to test for power at the pump, if yes pump or earth for pump if no check pump relay and fuse is fused separately.

Dennis317

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:24 AM

"if yes pump or earth for pump"? Can I disconect all the hoses and leave the pump plugged in to see if it turns on? Otherwise Im not quite sure what youre meaning.

mhpautos

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

If you do that run a short length of hose into a container, safer that way.

Dennis317

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

Okay thanks. Ill do that in the morning and will get back with you. So if the pump does work what should I be looking to troubleshoot next?

djcl

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

If the pump works you will need a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure

Dennis317

July, 2, 2012 AT 2:58 AM

I took the cap off and pressed on it while the key was in on position. It didnt spray any gas. Then I tried to start it while the cap was off and still no gas sprayed out of it.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test