WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT

2003 Ford Ranger

saustin38

November, 1, 2010 AT 6:55 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2003 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

How do I know if I need to replace the wheel bearing in my truck?

How do I replace it?

bluelightnin6

November, 1, 2010 AT 6:58 PM

Place your hands at 9: 00 and 3: 00 on the raised wheel in question. While applying inward pressure, spin the tire rapidly to feel for resistance or audible noise when the tire is in motion.

Place your hands at 12: 00 and 6: 00 on the wheel and try to wiggle it in a rocking motion. Any free play movement on a hub bearing assembly requires replacement.

Remove the wheel in question. Remove the caliper mount and pad assembly from the wheel knuckle. Support the caliper to the chassis using mechanics wire. Remove the rotor.

Clean the surface of the hub flange thoroughly with a honing stone to remove any corrosion or debris buildup on the flange. Affix the base of the dial indicator to the knuckle and then the tip of the indicator to the hub flange--leaving room for your hands to turn the hub. Lock the indicator in place. Set the indicator to zero.

Turn the hub flange back and forth in 90-degree rotations while looking at the indicator. If the indicator moves 0.0004 degrees in any direction, the hub bearing needs to be replaced.

Wheel Bearing Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element