Timing Belt

COMAROSCO
  • 1998 FORD RANGER

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual

Recently the timing belt on my truck broke. Putting the new belt on I lined up the Cam pulley (triangle to triangle), oil pulley (diamond to diamond), and crank to TDC. Tried several times but it is not working. Any Ideas? In addition, it is a four cylinder but has eight spark plugs, the number one access spark plug is the first on the driver side right?

Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 5:02 PM

DAVE H

Timing belt removal:
Disconnect battery ground cable. Remove exhaust side spark plugs.
Remove fan shroud bolts and fan shroud, and position aside. Loosen, but do not remove, water pump pulley bolts. Remove accessory drive serpentine belt.
Remove fan and clutch assembly retaining screws. Remove fan and clutch assembly. Remove fan shroud. Remove water pump pulley.
On models with A/C, discharge A/C system using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment. Remove A/C compressor from mounting bracket. Remove A/C compressor mounting bracket with power steering pump attached, and position aside.
Remove timing belt outer cover retaining bolt. Release seven cover interlocking tabs. Remove timing belt cover.
Rotate crankshaft in normal direction of rotation so that No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of compression stroke. Align camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump timing marks. See Fig. 1 crankshaft key-way should be pointing straight up, and circle on crankshaft sprocket must align with notch in engine front cover.
Holding timing belt tension-er with camshaft belt tension adjuster (T74P-6254-A) or equivalent, loosen adjusting bolt and pivot bolt. Slowly release spring tension. Pry tension-er away from timing belt, and tighten bolt to hold tension-er in place. Remove timing belt.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_150_2.jpg

Installation:
Ensure crankshaft is set at TDC and camshaft sprocket timing mark and oil pump sprocket timing mark are aligned with inner cover timing marks.
Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and then the camshaft sprocket. Loosen timing belt tension-er bolt.
Allow tension-er to adjust itself against timing belt. Do not tighten belt tension-er. Slowly rotate crankshaft clockwise 2 complete turns clockwise (as viewed from front of engine) so No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of compression stroke.
Recheck timing alignment marks. If timing marks are not aligned, re-position timing belt. Repeat timing belt tensioning procedure.
Tighten timing belt tension-er adjusting and pivot bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS: Install crankshaft pulley. Tighten center bolt to specification.
Install timing belt cover. Install exhaust side spark plugs. Install A/C compressor mounting bracket to engine. Install A/C compressor to mounting bracket. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Recharge A/C system, if necessary.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_1502_2.jpg

+2
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 5:39 PM
COMAROSCO

I have tried this many times, but still have no result. Any other ideas of what the problem could be?

+2
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 10:16 PM
DAVE H

Are you getting fuel and spark?

+3
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 11:02 AM
COMAROSCO

Yes I am getting spark and fuel. My only idea is that I am not getting TDC on compression stroke. What I have done is:
-Taken out number one cylinder spark plug.
-Put an object in to feel for cylinder.
-Rotated the crank clockwise until cylinder at very top and mark lined up on timing outer case.

Is this the TDC?
Is there a better way to be certain?

I have got the engine to turn over and start, but its rough and only runs for five to fifteen seconds.

Please help!

+1
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 10:08 PM
DAVE H

You have the timing slightly out still put a thin screwdriver into number one plug hole rotate crankshaft clockwise so that the piston is on the rocking point between up and down. it needs to be right at the top point at the end of the up stroke before it starts to go down again. here is a better picture of the timing marks. I hope this helps. let me know.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_ranger2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_ranger3_1.png

+9
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 5:17 AM
COMAROSCO

Okay, I took out the access plug and placed my finger over the hole. I had a friend turn the crank shaft until I felt pressure(valves working), at this point I knew this was the compression stroke. I then put a long screw driver into the hole and turned the crank until I felt it was TDC and the marks lined up on case. I re-aligned the cam and oil pulley, placed the timing belt on, set tension, and placed the spark back in. The truck started, and stayed running but it was very rough. Should I start over again or is there something I am missing? Like I stated earlier (eight Plugs, two per cylinder), the access plug I have been using is the driver side number one. Should I try the passenger number one, or it should not matter?
Please Help!

+2
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 1:28 PM
COMAROSCO

Also, every time I try to start the truck, I am doing so with the serpentine belt disconnected. Could this be why it is rough?

+2
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 2:06 PM
DAVE H

It does not matter which plug hole you use on number one cylinder as long as it is at TDC and all of your marks are lined up. Ow battery power could be causing the rough running install the belt. I would not expect it to cause real rough running if all your mark's are set up correctly (right on the marks) then your timing is correct. Check all your leads are correctly routed and seated on plugs. Plugs are tight. Also, check vacuum pipes. Does the vehicle sit and idle now? Let me know.

+2
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 5:08 AM
FORDCRUSHERDREAMS

Yes funny your diamond to triangle on the cam is wrong the diamond to diamond on the oil pump and the crank at TDC compression stroke are correct, but the cam is wrong. There is a little flat lip on the cam plate line the triangle at the bottom part of the lip an the rotate the cam counter clock wise one tooth and then put the belt on. This is for a 2.5 98 ford ranger.

+5
Friday, March 4th, 2016 AT 11:18 PM