Ford F-250 Super Duty Air conditioner not working

JOE PHARR
  • 1925 FORD F-250

I have a problem with my AC in my truck. When I first start up it works fine. After driving a while- especially in stop and go traffic on a hot day the air will become hot. I have checked under the hood when this happens and the clutch on the compressor seems to be not engaged. I checked for loose wires but did not find any. I tapped the clutch with a hammer and the clutch engaged and air worked fine. Can clutch be repaired or replaced and can it be DIY?

Wednesday, June 6th, 2007 AT 7:37 PM

DDWILSON524

Hi. I own a 2003 Ford F-250 Truck, with a 6.0 Turbo Diesel Engine. It's a 4 x 4 with approx 92000 miles. The A/C is not working, so opened the hood and noticed the compressor is not engaging. The fuse is ok, so I thought it might just need to be recharged, so I bought an artic freeze R134a kit. I hooked up to the low pressure side, and the gauge said the system was overcharged. Any Ideas as to the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

+1
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 AT 1:54 PM
DDWILSON524

Howdy. Thanks for your response. I did as you instructed, and here's what happened. When I disconnected the switch, I noticed a slight engine rpm decrease. When I jump across the 2 wires on the connector I get a slight increase in rpm (same as with the switch connected. Nothing else changes. No compressor rotation, or fluctuation in pressure. (Note: I have verified that the compressor turns easily by hand). Thanks again.

-2
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 5:31 PM
DDWILSON524

Hello again. I started the engine, turned on the A/C, climbed under the truck and tapped on the compressor hub/clutch assy as instructed. The clutch is still not engaging after much tapping. I did notice that the clutch assembly seemed pretty wobbley inside the hub. I understand they have springs inside to aid in dissengagement, but I was surprised that the springing action was as light as it is. Does this sound normal?

-1
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007 AT 12:05 PM
DDWILSON524

Howdy. I crawled back under the truck, and verified that the compressor rotated freely. I checked for side to side movement, and didn't find any, but. I did notice that the front plate seemed to move fwd a little as I jiggled it. I pulled it fwd as I wiggled it, and it came completely off in my hand. Turns out that the retaining bolt has fallen out. Do you suppose that if I put in a new bolt it will work?
Thank You
Darrel.

-1
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 9:19 PM
DDWILSON524

Howdy. Stopped by the auto parts store, picked up a 6mm-1.0 x about 3/4" long. Installed the clutch plate. Installed the bolt. A/C is now working flawlessly. Wish I would have used a mirror and noticed the bolt missing a couple of months ago. LOL. I'm just happy to have it working, and even more happy that the cost was under 2 dollars. Thank you for all your wise counsel. I am now cool.

Friday, August 17th, 2007 AT 10:22 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Sounds good glad we could help, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 10:56 AM
EZFLOW
  • 1977 FORD F-250
  • MERGED

Heater problem
1977 Ford F250 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 108700 miles

what needs to be fixed? Does it have a control valve? The heater core does not leak and the hoses going to core and back get warm.

Thursday, December 22nd, 2016 AT 3:07 PM
  • MERGED

Check and test the thermostat and check if heater core is clogged

GER M
  • 1977 FORD F-250FORD F-250
  • MERGED

I have a 1995 ford f-250 super with a 7.3 litre diesel engine.
The ac has"nt worked since I got it so I thought it might be a matter of just charging it so I went to kragens auto store and bought the r-134 ez charge with the gauges.
Followed the steps by putting the hose on the low side and filled it untill the gauge showed me when to stop. Its holding fine at that position so there is no leak but the ac is still not working.
How can I check the compressor to see if it is working? Or have you any ideas as to what is wrong.
Thanks alot

GER M
  • MERGED

Ya I have a test light.