SUPER DUTY AIR CONDITIONER NOT WORKING

1925 Ford F-250

Joe Pharr

June, 6, 2007 AT 7:37 PM

I have a problem with my AC in my truck. When I first start up it works fine. After driving a while- especially in stop and go traffic on a hot day the air will become hot. I have checked under the hood when this happens and the clutch on the compressor seems to be not engaged. I checked for loose wires but did not find any. I tapped the clutch with a hammer and the clutch engaged and air worked fine. Can clutch be repaired or replaced and can it be DIY?

M_H_RITZEL

June, 6, 2007 AT 7:48 PM

It could just need to be recharged.

ddwilson524

August, 8, 2007 AT 1:54 PM

Hi. I own a 2003 Ford F-250 Truck, with a 6.0 Turbo Diesel Engine. It's a 4 x 4 with approx 92000 miles. The A/C is not working, so opened the hood and noticed the compressor is not engaging. The fuse is ok, so I thought it might just need to be recharged, so I bought an artic freeze R134a kit. I hooked up to the low pressure side, and the gauge said the system was overcharged. Any Ideas as to the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

ddwilson524

August, 10, 2007 AT 5:31 PM

Howdy. Thanks for your response. I did as you instructed, and here's what happened. When I disconnected the switch, I noticed a slight engine rpm decrease. When I jump across the 2 wires on the connector I get a slight increase in rpm (same as with the switch connected. Nothing else changes. No compressor rotation, or fluctuation in pressure. (Note: I have verified that the compressor turns easily by hand). Thanks again.

ddwilson524

August, 14, 2007 AT 12:05 PM

Hello again. I started the engine, turned on the A/C, climbed under the truck and tapped on the compressor hub/clutch assy as instructed. The clutch is still not engaging after much tapping. I did notice that the clutch assembly seemed pretty wobbley inside the hub. I understand they have springs inside to aid in dissengagement, but I was surprised that the springing action was as light as it is. Does this sound normal?

ddwilson524

August, 15, 2007 AT 9:19 PM

Howdy. I crawled back under the truck, and verified that the compressor rotated freely. I checked for side to side movement, and didn't find any, but. I did notice that the front plate seemed to move fwd a little as I jiggled it. I pulled it fwd as I wiggled it, and it came completely off in my hand. Turns out that the retaining bolt has fallen out. Do you suppose that if I put in a new bolt it will work?
Thank You
Darrel.

ddwilson524

August, 17, 2007 AT 10:22 AM

Howdy. Stopped by the auto parts store, picked up a 6mm-1.0 x about 3/4" long. Installed the clutch plate. Installed the bolt. A/C is now working flawlessly. Wish I would have used a mirror and noticed the bolt missing a couple of months ago. LOL. I'm just happy to have it working, and even more happy that the cost was under 2 dollars. Thank you for all your wise counsel. I am now cool.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic