FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY AIR CONDITIONER NOT WORKING

• Joe Pharr
  • 1925 FORD F-250

I have a problem with my AC in my truck. When I first start up it works fine. After driving a while- especially in stop and go traffic on a hot day the air will become hot. I have checked under the hood when this happens and the clutch on the compressor seems to be not engaged. I checked for loose wires but did not find any. I tapped the clutch with a hammer and the clutch engaged and air worked fine. Can clutch be repaired or replaced and can it be DIY?

Wednesday, June 6th, 2007 AT 7:37 PM

• Ddwilson524

Hi. I own a 2003 Ford F-250 Truck, with a 6.0 Turbo Diesel Engine. It's a 4 x 4 with approx 92000 miles. The A/C is not working, so opened the hood and noticed the compressor is not engaging. The fuse is ok, so I thought it might just need to be recharged, so I bought an artic freeze R134a kit. I hooked up to the low pressure side, and the gauge said the system was overcharged. Any Ideas as to the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

+1
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 AT 1:54 PM
  • Ddwilson524

Howdy. Thanks for your response. I did as you instructed, and here's what happened. When I disconnected the switch, I noticed a slight engine rpm decrease. When I jump across the 2 wires on the connector I get a slight increase in rpm (same as with the switch connected. Nothing else changes. No compressor rotation, or fluctuation in pressure. (Note: I have verified that the compressor turns easily by hand). Thanks again.

-2
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 5:31 PM
  • Ddwilson524

Hello again. I started the engine, turned on the A/C, climbed under the truck and tapped on the compressor hub/clutch assy as instructed. The clutch is still not engaging after much tapping. I did notice that the clutch assembly seemed pretty wobbley inside the hub. I understand they have springs inside to aid in dissengagement, but I was surprised that the springing action was as light as it is. Does this sound normal?

-1
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007 AT 12:05 PM
  • Ddwilson524

Howdy. I crawled back under the truck, and verified that the compressor rotated freely. I checked for side to side movement, and didn't find any, but. I did notice that the front plate seemed to move fwd a little as I jiggled it. I pulled it fwd as I wiggled it, and it came completely off in my hand. Turns out that the retaining bolt has fallen out. Do you suppose that if I put in a new bolt it will work?
Thank You
Darrel.

-1
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 9:19 PM
  • Ddwilson524

Howdy. Stopped by the auto parts store, picked up a 6mm-1.0 x about 3/4" long. Installed the clutch plate. Installed the bolt. A/C is now working flawlessly. Wish I would have used a mirror and noticed the bolt missing a couple of months ago. LOL. I'm just happy to have it working, and even more happy that the cost was under 2 dollars. Thank you for all your wise counsel. I am now cool.

-2
Friday, August 17th, 2007 AT 10:22 AM
  • 2CarPros Ken

Sounds good glad we could help, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Best, Ken

Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 10:56 AM