2003 Ford F-150 Crankshaft Sensor

BIXBYSTX
  • 2003 FORD F-150
I put a new DSS crate engine in my truck about a year ago and the new engine has about 6,000 miles on it. I often get the P0315 code, which is the crankshaft variation code. My truck runs fine and I would think if my crankshaft sensor was bad my truck would probably give me some problems. Would putting a new motor in my truck trigger this code when nothing is really wrong with my crankshaft sensor? I have been told that Ford do not have a relearn like the chevys do with crankshaft sensors. I would like to get my problem fixed.

Thanks,

Brian
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 11:19 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Either the sensor is sending the incorrect signal (wrong sensor, or wiring to it).

Or PCM is misinterputing signal.

Was engine from same year Ford?

Is it direct replacement?

Who installed it?

Hooking up a scanner to it in live data mode will tell you what signal the PCM is receiving.

During an installation this complicated is is very possible a wire as pinched, or connector pin bent.

Is this 4.6, 5.4?
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 8:43 AM
BIXBYSTX
My motor is a 4.6 modular motor that DSS racing sells. I'm sure this motor would probably work on several different years for the F150. Yes this motor is a direct replacement for my factory motor. What type of scanner would I need to scan my truck in the live data mode? My engine was installed by S&G Performance in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Brian
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 8:55 AM
MMPRINCE4000
Actron, Innova, AutoXray all have scanners that will read live data.

They run anywhere from $200-$600.

If you get into the really GOOD scanners (OTC, Snap-on) you are looking at a minimum of $5000-$10,000 and up.

The less expensive scanners work fine, and unless you are a mechanic by trade, are generally overkill for most people.
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 6:33 AM

Sponsored links