Engine compatability

MURRAY BROOKER
  • 2010 FORD F-150
I have a truck with a 5.4L 3valve engine (VIN 8th digit V) and I needs the engine replaced. I recently purchased a 2004 f150 with a strong running 5.4L 3valve (VIN 8th digit 5) and I'm wondering if I could swap the engine from the 04 into the 10?
Monday, April 3rd, 2017 AT 7:34 AM

The biggest problem you may run into is sensors like crank as they may have switched from one system like GM did 28x to 56x which is a way for running. Also, all sensors have to be able to hook up to wiring because they may have changed sensors. In this case they are both supposed to have 36x on both cranks.
Monday, April 3rd, 2017 AT 10:25 AM
LEROY SHEPERD
  • 2008 FORD F-150
My truck 4.6L Triton engine locked up going down the highway. I have purchased a new re-manufactured engine and had it shipped to an auto repair shop where I have taken the truck to be fixed. The mechanic at the auto repair shop quoted me a price and approximate time of repair. I received a call from him telling me that my engine is locked up and that I had not told him that and it is going to change the repair costs and time. What is it about changing out a "locked up engine" or a "non-locked up" one that changes the time and cost of repairs?
Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 AT 7:10 PM (Merged)
The engine needs to be rotated almost one complete revolution to remove the bolts, one at a time, from the flex plate to the torque converter. Only one or two of them can be accessed at a time through the inspection cover at the bottom/front of the transmission.

Something sounds not quite right here. There is an easy work-around in which the torque converter gets pulled off the transmission and stays with the engine as the engine is removed, then the bolts can be accessed later to remove them.

It is not customary to buy your own parts and ask to have them installed. That's like bringing your own food to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you. In this case, I find it very hard to believe the person you talked with at the shop didn't ask you right away why you wanted the engine replaced. You wouldn't walk into a hospital and expect to be treated without them asking you for what. When I spoke with a customer who wanted his car aligned, I always asked him why, so I knew if it was just a maintenance thing or if there was some problem I needed to look for. Very often people think a transmission or an engine has to be replaced when no professional actually diagnosed it as such. Any reputable mechanic will check it first to see if that major repair is really needed, and gladly tell you the problem is much less-expensive to solve. I can't imagine someone not asking why you wanted to have the engine replaced.

Given the age and mileage, as long as this work is being done, consider having the transmission's from pump seal replaced right away. They become hardened from engine heat over time, and regardless whether the torque converter comes out with the engine or it stays on the transmission, that seal is going to have unusual pressure placed on it that will deform it. If it is still pliable, it will just go back to its proper shape when everything is reassembled. If it has become hardened, it is likely to crack. That will result in leaking transmission fluid and the need to remove either the engine or the transmission to get to that seal, when that could have been avoided by just replacing it as long as they were right there. That is a round metal ring with a rubber lip seal that rides on the hub of the torque converter. This extra service should take about 15 to 20 minutes when everything is already disassembled.
BMDOUBLE
Shouldn't be much more time, locked up or not!
CABLANKENSHIP
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Is it possible for me to swap out my blown 5.4 l engine from my 2004 f150 xlt with a 5.4 l triton engine from a 1999 E350?
As long as you can put in all the sensors from the 04 engine in the 99 then you could as they are both overhead cam. If not it wouldn't work because the computer wouldn't work correctly and your fuel mileage would be crap
-2
COACHMIKE
  • 2003 FORD F-150
My truck stalled while driving through standing rain water. It was up to at least 3/4 of the front of the truck about 45 min. I was told the engine had to be replace, I also had to buy a water pump, carburator, brakes set and air and oil filter. Did I need to buy those items, if the engine was to be replace?
Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 AT 7:11 PM (Merged)
It matters if you purchased a short block. In that case, parts from the old engine need to be switched to the new one. However, you vehicle doesn't have a carburator, and the brakes shouldn't have been affected. As far as the air and oil filter, yes you would need them.

Let me know if you have other questions.
GREGORY MCDANIEL
  • 2003 FORD F-150
My truck listed above has a loud clunking noise and low or no oil pressure. I was told it needed a new timing chain and guide set up and a new oil pump. I The VIN is FTRW08L63KC31966. I have another Ford, VIN is FMRU15L11LA35999. This is in a 2 wheel drive SUV. Can I swap motors, and what would be involved?
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Sorry, the engine from the Expedition even though its a 5.4L it has a completely different prefix number and is therefore non-interchangeable with your F-150. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
PRESTON HARRIS
  • 2000 FORD F-150
Had no oil pressure and the oil pump drive shaft was not spinning so assumed the camshaft synchronizer was bad. Upon removal I found that the driving gear connected to the large timing chain sprocket was completely smoothed down. I cannot find a name for this piece or any info on how to remove it! Any help is appreciated. Image of the gear below.
KEN
That is part of the camshaft so you will need a new one. Also, this usually happens when the oil pump pickup is clogged or the oil pump is going out. If this is the original engine it might be time for a rebuilt unit. First disconnect the battery and drain the coolant and engine oil. Here are the instructions on how to replace the engine in the diagrams below. Check out the diagrams (below). Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.
PALESOO
  • 1999 FORD F-150
I've just replaced the engine of my truck with a used engine that my father in law bought from the states. The problem is, there are some extra wire harness and some extra hoses that I don't know where they go to. How can you tell what year was that engine manufactured and what model was it from? Is there a number on the engine that I can tell what year that model is?
Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 AT 7:12 PM (Merged)
There should be a number in the engine block casting. If you can find and provide that, I may be able to decode it and get the info you need.

Also, tell me engine type. For example, is it a 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder.

I will also mention that based on the model year of the engine, you may be in for more than you expect. Many of the newer engines have different sensors, different ports. Than the older ones. In addition, you may not be able to get your present sensors to work which can lead to new problems.

Let me know and I'll do my best.
JAMESBURROW
  • 1998 FORD F-150
What all do I need to take off when removing my engine out of my truck listed above?
KASEKENNY1
I am attaching the entire process from the manual on how to remove the engine. Let us know if you have other questions. It is pretty extensive but not too bad to remove this one.
DAVID GRAHAM
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I have a 1998 ford f150 with a 4.2 l v6. I bought it with a blown engine with the intent of replacing it to make it a farm truck. I recently had a friend offer me a basically new engine out of the box he got at an auction its a 4.61 ford v-8 dual overhead cam long block engine for the same model year. I was wondering if I bought it will it be able to mount up to the current transmission on my v6 or is it a lost cause and id have to get a new tranny for it
Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 AT 7:13 PM (Merged)
Anything is possible. The problem is this, we only recommend direct fit parts for the following reasons.

Everything needs replaced, computer, sensors, mounts, possible transmission. When it is all said and done, you have an electrical nightmare that may cause you odd problems all the time. Note:
If it is a long block, you still need to install parts to make it complete. They expect you to have the parts from the old engine. I recommend staying with what the vehicle came with.
-1
DANIEL470
  • 1997 FORD F-150
1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

i am changing out a 97 4.6 romeo motor in a f-150. I am replacing with a 99 4.6 romeo motor. I've pretty much stripped the old motor but cant get to the top two tranny-engine bolts. Is there any way to get them out without pulling the cab or intake manifold?
BLACKOP555
Remove engine supporting crossmeber and tranny crossmemember and drop the engine and trans.

Sponsored links