F150 TIE RODS

1999 Ford F-150

valacct

May, 5, 2008 AT 2:40 PM

Steering problem
1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 76000 miles

The garage where I got an oil change said I need uppers & lowers. He took a large adjustable [pipe?] Wrench and was squeezing the joint near the tire up and down. He was able to compress it maybe a 1/2-inch at most, then did the same at the other end of the rod. He said Ford had re-designed the front end and inserted a new spring that kept all 'play' out of the steering wheel, but that I was in danger of loosing my steering and should have this done SOON. He quoted me about $350, which seems reasonable for the work & parts, but is he right that there will be no warning that a wheel is about to fail or fall off? He also said the driver side was tight, but that both should be done together. Thanks for any insites, -v

Service Writer

May, 5, 2008 AT 5:14 PM

Upper and lowers usually references ball joints, inners and outer for tie rod ends.

There may be reduced labor for doing both sides, but ask. If not I would wait until I had to myself.

Usually warning signs such as vibration, clunking wobbling may surface ahead of time, sometimes without warning. It happened to me 25 years ago or so.

Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal