1989 Ford F-150 Column ingition actuator replacement

• 1989 FORD F-150

Steering problem
1989 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 136000 miles

F-150 with tilt steering. Column ingnition actuator broke. Ripped into steering column and was able to remove broken part but, looks like I need to remove front yoke where it is hinged by two threaded barrel pins and a front retaining clip. Question is how do I remove the two barrel ( pivot ) pins and with what?
Already tried threaded screw with two nut trick?

Tuesday, December 4th, 2007 AT 6:14 PM

I went through this a couple of years ago. I ended up pulling the column out of the truck. If you are going to work on the tilt mechanism, I think it's a must.

Here's a picture of the broken piece and the new piece. The Parts Guy at the Ford dealer knew just what it was when I put the broken piece on the counter. Didn't ask "What year? What Model?" just went back and got it. Must be common.

Here's a photo of the gizmo I bought at NAPA if I remember right. They knew just what I needed. All extra screws and the spacer are additional items you will need. I must have blocked out this ordeal because I can't remember what I used them for. I DO remember you will need some C Clamps or something of the sort to compress and hold the spring .

My tilt just became a floppy this week. Went to U-Pull-it and got a whole column. Wish they had a key for it. Now I have to get a locksmith to remove it or drill the thing and replace all this stuff again.

Saturday, December 29th, 2007 AT 9:03 PM